Question about replacing outlets

Recently I replaced all the outlets in my living room, while doing so I made sure to put the wires on the same screws on the new outlets. I went as far as to take the wire off the old and put it on the new one screw at a time. I am SURE that I didn't change any positions of any of the wires but now since I replaced the outlets the light switch doesn't control the part of the outlet that it use to.

Can someone please tell me what I could have done?

Reply to
Ron

It is what you didn't do. A new receptacle has both sides tied together. I am guessing you had black wires on both brass screws on the switched receptacle. If so you need to break out the little link between the brass screws on that receptacle. Just grab it with long nose pliers and bend it until it breaks.

Reply to
Greg

You did not break off the tiny little tab between the two brass colored screws on the side of the switch controlled outlet. Breaking out the tab allows you to have one receptacle switched and the other one constant. With the tab still there both will be connected to the constant hot as well as the switched hot and both will have power all the time.

-- Tom H

Reply to
HorneTD

The others are right about the tab on the outlet...just to clarify, you want to grab the tab with a pair of needle nose pliers and gently wiggle it back and forth (from the front of the outlet to the back of the outlet)until the tab breaks off. Do not twist it or try to just break it off. You'll likely just ruin the outlet if you do. Sorry if I sound like I'm preaching...it's just that the OP sounds as if they have minimal experience at this and every little bit (in terms of details)helps.

Reply to
sjb

Ya shoulda told him to turn the power off first :-)

Reply to
No Spam

Your supposed to turn the power OFF? I was wondering what that tingley (sp) feeling was~ :>)

Reply to
sjb