Questions on series versus parallel outlets in garage/shop

James Sweet wrote:

Seems like a device should not be that subject to failure. (I am not convinced that is the only reason they fail.)

That is my opinion.
And backstabs are not allowed with #12 wire anymore.

In theory unions guys should hate them because they take less time. I suspect it is contractors that love them. If backstabs were not allowed bids would be equalized with more conscientious electricians and contractors.
--
bud--

bud-- wrote:

[snip]
There's a compromise between screw terminals and (spring terminal) back stabs.
Some receptacles take a straight stripped wire (like a back stab) but have an internal clamp held by a screw. No need to bend a loop around a screw and no problems with a spring losing its temper.

Yeah I rather like those, in my experience they work well. It's the spring loaded ones I hate so much.

Wow. Please: Either get a basic wiring book, go to the library and read a bit, or get a pro in to do your work. You just do not have the background yet to be safely doing things like that. At least get a buddy who understands it to explain it to you. Do not continue until you know what you're doing.
Lost of basic wiring site on the 'net, too. Use google to find them.