RE: Littermaid Mega - Troubleshooting assistance

Saturday evening, the 6th of December.

Hello, I saw your posting, and I was wondering: could you offer any guidance for repair of the Littermaid Mega (catbox)?

I have been given the task of maintaining this machine (by my wife). Unfortunatly, it appears to have responded badly to my attempts at cleaning. After removing the used litter (Everclean), and washing out the pan/rake area, I reloaded with new litter. After engaging the power supply (it's the original AC variety), the indicator lamp began flashing, at about the rate of slightly more that once per second. Note: no user manual was available to me.

I left the machine, and returned after about 20 minutes (purchase of additional litter). Meanwhile the Rake had moved to the end of the machine with the container. The lamp was no longer flashing. After reseating the power supply (20 minutes, cooling time, not excessivly warm), the rake returned to its starting position. Since that time it/the machine will only move the Rake a short distance {is this a reset?} after applying power. After an additional 2 hour wait time, the Lamp will flash 3-5 times, {rake runs for a few seconds and stops}, and then hold steady{the Lamp}.

Is this related to the possible excess humidity from cleaning?

Thank you, David R. Lewellen leworks AT yahoo DOT com

Quoting from an earlier UseNet posting. ... I designed the electronics for three different self cleaning litter pans representing two different companies. One is on the top of the market, one is only just now emerging onto the market, and the other will be on the market next year. There are no other self cleaning litter pans so its a very safe bet that I know yours intimately. I don't know which pan you have, but here's the scoop...... One uses a Voltage regulator for the entire circuit including the motor drive with plenty of heatsink in case the customer uses a different wall adapter than provided. Increasing the DC power input to this circuit will not change anything. The second draws its motor power directly from the rectified AC input, using an AC wall adapter rather than a DC one, so increasing the power input will make the motor move the rake faster (higher rectified voltage), but with less torque due to "power limiting" designed to guarantee the same power rate to the motor regardless of higher VAC input and a safety threshold that does not permit the motor to work harder than a defined rate to prevent overheating. This was to ensure UL/CSA/VDE compliance. ...

Reply to
David R. Lewellen

Flashing lamp indicates either a low battery when on batteries or a blockage, which causes the rake to back off and try again. If you are using the AC adapter and there is no blockage, it sounds like the regulator circuitry has been toasted.

I have seen that before, and if I recall correctly, it turned out to be a bad motor. I don't know to what extent you took it apart, but could you have somehow gotten water into the motor itself? They're not sealed and everything you've indicated can be attributed to a bad motor. It can suck the regulated power down to nothing, tripping the low battery indication, it can cause the motor to work very poorly, causing the rake to move a short distance very slowly. It can cause the current building resistor to get a false indication of a motor under stress.........so it all comes down to did you get any water into the motor itself and if so....drying it out should be your answer. If its not, then the regulation circuitry is shot.

Proper care and maintenance should be limited to removing the removable litter pan, washing it out in the sink, and replacing it.

Reply to
EEng

Second, of rather more importance:: What is the disassembly/reassembly procedure for this machine? I believe I need to examine the motor and regulator.

Third, do you know where I can acquire a servce manual for this product? The LIttermaid Web Site doesn't appear to have any significant technical information.

Many thanks for the information you have already provided.

Thank you, David

Reply to
David R. Lewellen

First, question: How do I remove the litter pan? Duh, sorry, not a very advanced question.

Second, of rather more importance:: What is the disassembly/reassembly procedure for this machine? I believe I need to examine the motor and regulator.

Third, do you know where I can acquire a servce manual for this product? The LIttermaid Web Site doesn't appear to have any significant technical information.

Many thanks for the information you have already provided.

Thank you, David

leworks AT comcast DOT net

Reply to
David R. Lewellen

Remove the collection bin. The plastic insert tray lifts out.

I cannot advise you to disassemble the unit.

Probably, but I can't advise you to do so.

You'll have to contact ACP, Inc Customer Service 1-800-548-6243

Reply to
EEng