Re: Questions on PC power-save settings

30 minutes sounds like a good setting for computer/monitor to go into power saving mode. I have my PC on similar settings, and have had no problems with CPU and monitors going to "sleep" or "engergy-save" mode and coming out of it with activity at keyboard/mouse. For example, TV is turned on/off many times a day, yet no problems occur because of this. A good surge protector or UPS should provide protection against surges/spikes/voltage problems (there were reports of voltage swings from 79 to 147 volts during the NY blackout last week and I would not be surprised if many electronic appliances got damaged - since acceptable limits are 100 to 132 volts)

the
(it's
Monitors age in the following ways: 1) The cathode in the electron gun wears out leading to low contrast. This occurs while the CRT is powered up regardless if a screensaver is used. 2) Using a screensaver can prevent burn-ins 3) Heat is damaging but thermal cycling is damaging too. My guess is that CRTs dont deteriorate much from thermal cycling but electronics and the flyback do.
As for the computer, at an age of 6 years it's probably not worth much. I'd worry more about saving electricity than preventing thermal cycling.
-M