Required outside light

I read somewhere in the code that a switched outside light is required. Is this also required on a detached building such as a
garage and would a motion detector light on the top corner of the building meet this code requirement???
stryped wrote:

You're probably thinking of the requirement of a switched light in every interior room. I don't know of a reason one would need one on the outside of a building. I'm not up on code for residential and such though. The requirement for a switched light outside wouldn't make sense from a common sense standpoint.
stryped wrote:

210.70-A-2-b "For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power, at least one wall-switch controlled [light] shall be installed to provide illumination on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits with grade level access."
Vehicle doors are not included.
Maybe you should get another book.
alt.home.repair gets more questions on residential wiring and code.
--
bud--

210.70-A-2-b: Exception to (A)(2)(a), (A)(2)(b), and (A)(2)(c): In hallways, stairway, and at outdoor entrances, remote, central, or automatic control of lighting shall be permitted.
A motion detector is an automatic light control. Also, the location of the fixture is not specified, only that it must light up the exterior of the entrance/exit.
Rich. wrote:

I missed the exception.
Some of the motion detectors have a feature where if you turn the power off then on with a short interval the light stays on. If I was installing an exterior light I would have a switch before the sensor and light.
--
bud--

I have an outdoor light that is, in theory and practise, wall-switched- that
is- I can turn it on or off by a wall switch, However, it, as is the case

Now that you mention that, I'm curious what sort of differences there are. Being the sort that I am, I tend to look at this stuff wherever I go, don't recall seeing anything unusual about domestic wiring in Canadian homes I've been in.

There is nothing unusual about Canadian vs US wiring but the codes are not completely in step and there may be differences between provinces, just as there are differences between states. I do know that 3 prong outlets became common here before they did in the US. The process of bringing codes to the same standards is still an ongoing thing, requiring meetings in places such as Miami in the winter, and Banff in saummer.
--
Don Kelly
snipped-for-privacy@shawcross.ca