Shower cable question

According to 16th Edition, is there a minimum depth that a cable must be run inside a wall. I am in the process of re-tiling my shower cubicle. On removing the old tiles, the cable is exposed. Whoever installed the cable, channeled out the wall put the cable in, then put tile grout on top of the cable. As they put the tiles on, the cable has worked its way to the surface of the grout. I can see the outside sheath exposed with the old tiles removed. TIA

Reply to
BIGEYE

Lol, that's lazy men's work. It wouldn't be much hassle to impact hammer the wall to create the required depth, put the cables back in and then cement the wall up again.

Reply to
Brian Su

Reply to
BIGEYE

What jurisdiction are you in? Installation requirements vary between localities.

Also, what kind of construction are you working with? I'm guessing its tile on top of cast concrete walls, but its not clear from your post.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

BS7671.... No required depth. sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

Thanks for that. It is just shoddy installation by whoever installed the shower to start with.

Reply to
BIGEYE

The IEE On-site Guide of BS7671(2002) reprinted 2003 states no minimum distance unless run diagonally. Embedded in plaster acceptable.

The Which? Book of Wiring and Lighting(2002) reprinted 2003, not an official publication, states in the section on Running Cable in Solid Walls: "Use of conduit has only recently become mandatory".

Hmmmmm.

Reply to
Graeme Reid

I always consult the Readers Digest first! ;-)

Reply to
Airy R Swipe