Simple fan wiring question

Hey all.

I've got an old bathroom exhaust fan that I want to use for ventilation in my garage. The fan has what looks like a transformer built into it and has

3 wires (Black, White and Red). I wanted to just wire it to a 2 prong plug that I can just pop into a wall outlet when I want the fan turned on. Question is.. which two wires do I connect the plug to? I've had success connecting the White and Black, but also the White and Red. Is it dangerous to only connect two of the three fan wires to a 2 prong plug?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jason.

Reply to
JasonG

does the fan change speeds connected to different color wires?

Reply to
SQLit

No green grounding conductor?? Bill Kaszeta Photovoltaic Resources Int'l Tempe Arizona USA snipped-for-privacy@pvri-removethis.biz

Reply to
Bill Kaszeta / Photovoltaic Resources

"Bill Kaszeta / Photovoltaic Resources" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.earthlink.net...

There was a time long long ago 50s or 60s when Germany used red for the ground connection.

This fan needs a careful inspection especially as it was said by the OP to be OLD.

If the "transformer" has only 2 connections it could be a choke (inductor) for the low speed.

Australian code today would say that it must have a green ground connected to the frame and back to the building ground system. I guess the USA is the same.

Reply to
John G