Space Saver?

Hi there! I have a question or two. To make a LONG story short..I am in the process of buying a house. We had an inspector come out and he discovered that the fuse box/ breaker box was "double lugged twice." Could any one explain to me what that term means?

Also, we had asked/offered the seller to replace the breaker box / fuse box so that we could finish off the basement with electricals. My realtor comes back and tells me that the seller had an electrician come out, and they are going to do a space saver to take care of the double lugging. Could any one explain to me what that is, and pros and cons of it? I know almost nothing about fuse boxes. Just know how to change outlets, install ceiling lights..etc.

Thanks in advance!!

Reply to
roland

I am not exactly sure what they are talking about but let me guess. You have 2 wires under a couple breakers and they are going to use "space saver" breakers that get 2 in a regular slot. The first thing is to be sure your breakers are not listed for 1 or 2 wires. A lot of "home inspectors" don't have a clue. Generally, if there is a center screw and the wires go on either side of a square washer that is OK. If there is one hole and the screw goes right onto the wire it isn't OK.

Reply to
Greg

Home INFECTOR strikes again. I just sold my home and the mother did not even have a clue. Even wrote up my pool gates needing new latches. I have them pinned open with 1/4-20 nuts and bolts.

The MAROON probably means that the breakers have 2 wires under the screw. Most home panel are rated for 2 wires of the same size to be under the screws. You can replace the 1 inch breakers for 1/2 inch breakers and get 2 breakers in the same space. This works fine for bedrooms and lighting I do not like to do it for 20 amp circuits cause the thin ones have a tendency to trip under a ~80% load. They get hot and the thermal part of the breaker trips them out.

Please forward this to the MAROON. I sent a 3 page complaint to the state agency that certified my LOON with pictures and descriptions on the back. Rant concluded.

Reply to
SQLit

I don't know about "double lugged twice", but space savers have we here also.There are double pole 40A breakers from GEYER, with indicator light used mainly for electrical cookers or water heaters, that are half an inch rather than 1" (or even 1 1/2" if you consider the indicator). Ï "roland" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá news:8Q%Mb.75367$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...

Reply to
Dimitris Tzortzakakis