sychronizing generator

hi...im the new member in this group...hope you welcome me will.... i have a questions "why is neccesary to sychronizing a generator?" how
can we synchronis? "what are the methods for synchronizing""what is a sychronizing" hope you will answer this because this is my term paper to be pass.... my professor ask me to research this about the synchronizing generator plss reply me AS SOON AS POSSIBLE..... tnx
On 10/6/06 5:10 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "nemo"

Hie thee to a library!
Bill -- Fermez le Bush
If you try to connect a generator to the system without synchronising- all hell can break loose. You can then do your research in the dark. As Salmon Egg suggests, "hie thee to a library" where most machines and/or power system texts deal with this. Your prof also asks you to research this topic-implying, at least, a perusal of library information. Failing this- visit the local utility.

remove the X to answer

I had to do my own research - before the internet -
Only a boy would ask for help with his homework, a man would do it himself.
nemo wrote:

perhaps you would care to explain, in detail, what you already know about "synchronizing a generator". then perhaps, someone might point out any gross errors in your understanding.

I answered some of the same questions for someone else a while back. Search the archives in this group.
For large machines, if it isn't done right, you can damage the machine and the switchgear. Get it 180 out of phase (about the worst thing you could do), and you can break drive shafts, tear up machine mounts, blow-up things in general.
What specifically are you looking for? How an operator does it? instrumentation needed? theory of operation?
daestrom