too much hum...

Ok, here's the deal. I'm trying to record from my turntable to my pc. I have a Newmark TT200 turntable and a good stylus. I'm using a Gemini PMX 01 mixer as my preamp. I have my turntable grounded to the Mixer as required. However, I seem to be getting a lot of hum as if its not grounded well. last week I grounded the turntable and the mixer separately to ground wires in the wall and the hum is still there. Pretty hard to record with all that hum in the background. my question is where is the hum coming from? My guess is that its from crappy wiring in the Mixer. Am I doing something wrong in the grounds? Someone once told my that to avoid electrical hum, use a batters as an energy source instead of a wall plug..any ideas??

George

Reply to
Farmdog

Don't ground your turntable to your mixer. Ground each one separately.

Put that back in place, and find the cause. Check the AC sockets you are plugging all of this into for proper grounds and proper connections.

Guessing won't do you a bit of good. You can check things like that very easily. Unplug and disconnect the turntable. Do you still have hum????

If not, it sure isn't coming from the mixer.

Even battery power won't get you away from some of the induction from the AC power wiring in your house!

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 06:13:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@barrow.com (Floyd L. Davidson) Gave us:

Except that ground loop noise in these systems is CONducted, not inducted.

Reply to
TokaMundo

too much hum... Group: alt.engineering.electrical Date: Wed, Jun 22, 2005, 6:27am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@wyan.org (Farmdog) Ok, here's the deal. I'm trying to record from my turntable to my pc. I have a Newmark TT200 turntable and a good stylus. I'm using a Gemini PMX

01 mixer as my preamp. I have my turntable grounded to the Mixer as required. However, I seem to be getting a lot of hum as if its not grounded well. last week I grounded the turntable and the mixer separately to ground wires in the wall and the hum is still there. Pretty hard to record with all that hum in the background. my question is where is the hum coming from? My guess is that its from crappy wiring in the Mixer. Am I doing something wrong in the grounds? Someone once told my that to avoid electrical hum, use a batters as an energy source instead of a wall plug..any ideas?? George

Sad to say: But your equipment is not High End. You should check your connections carefully, even then, if you do not have your turntable matched properly with your mixer (pre-amp) plus the possibility that you have a magnetic head for your stylus will only make things worse., you will need a ceramic head or better attenuation to get through the mixer & any preamp stages to your computer, or your audio coupling will be lacking and Hum, Wow & Flutter will hit you every chance they get with any change in Volume, Bass or Treble.....

Try a seperate preamp before your mixer and Attenuate the Output to the mixer, you will need to Minimize your Output because matching the computer and audio compnents you are using will be very difficult... specially if you have a magnetic output without proper pre-amplificatiion.The Ceramic Output Jack on a regular old amp will probably do the trick you want..... =AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Really? Are you *sure* of that?

If it is inducted into one equipment, and then conducted via a common ground connection, which is it?

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:45:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy Q.T.) Gave us:

As if you had any clue as to what is or is not high end. Remember folks... this idiot is on WebTV.

Before you go off spewing about what someone that posts here is or may have, you should ask him to list it, dingledorf!

Post for us just what "Wow & Flutter" is, brainiac. I doubt you'll get it right without the help of google. In any case, you didn't reference it correctly here... at all. Figures though.

He never mentioned a computer at all. Do you always make retarded presumptions?

Stick to answering what was asked... oh that's right, you are too stupid for reality.

You are not high end. Someone please depress the flush handle.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:57:24 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@barrow.com (Floyd L. Davidson) Gave us:

If the supplies internal to said systems isolates them (and they do), then yes, one can conduct hum from one into the other. It is referred to as "injected noise".

Reply to
TokaMundo

Cite?

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson
[Me cago en la puta madre que te pario]

Back Off Creep

From: snipped-for-privacy@weedizgood.org (TokaMundo) On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:45:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy Q.T.) Gave us: too much hum... Group: alt.engineering.electrical Date: Wed, Jun 22, 2005, 6:27am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@wyan.org (Farmdog) Ok, here's the deal. I'm trying to record from my turntable to my pc. I have a Newmark TT200 turntable and a good stylus. I'm using a Gemini PMX 01 mixer as my preamp. I have my turntable grounded to the Mixer as required. However, I seem to be getting a lot of hum as if its not grounded well. last week I grounded the turntable and the mixer separately to ground wires in the wall and the hum is still there. Pretty hard to record with all that hum in the background. my question is where is the hum coming from? My guess is that its from crappy wiring in the Mixer. Am I doing something wrong in the grounds? Someone once told my that to avoid electrical hum, use a batters as an energy source instead of a wall plug..any ideas?? George Sad to say: But your equipment is not High End. =A0=A0As if you had any clue as to what is or is not high end. Remember folks... this idiot is on WebTV. You should check your connections carefully, even then, if you do not have your turntable matched properly with your mixer (pre-amp) plus the possibility that you have a magnetic head for your stylus will only make things worse., =A0=A0=A0=A0Before you go off spewing about what someone that posts here is or may have, you should ask him to list it, dingledorf! you will need a ceramic head or better attenuation to get through the mixer & any preamp stages to your computer, or your audio coupling will be lacking and Hum, Wow & Flutter will hit you every chance they get with any change in Volume, Bass or Treble..... =A0=A0=A0=A0Post for us just what "Wow & Flutter" is, brainiac. I doubt you'll get it right without the help of google. In any case, you didn't reference it correctly here... at all. Figures though. Try a seperate preamp before your mixer and Attenuate the Output to the mixer, you will need to Minimize your Output because matching the computer and audio compnents you are using will be very difficult... =A0=A0=A0=A0He never mentioned a computer at all. Do you always make retarded presumptions? specially if you have a magnetic output without proper pre-amplificatiion.The Ceramic Output Jack on a regular old amp will probably do the trick you want..... =A0=A0=A0=A0Stick to answering what was asked... oh that's right, you are too stupid for reality. =A0=A0=A0=A0You are not high end. Someone please depress the flush handle.

Look Weed Wacker: You're the one that don't know Jack about what is going on here.

wow look who's the flutting idiot., I Don't Train Monkeys, I sell them.

so, Go To Hell Pot Head ! =AE

Reply to
Roy Q.T.
[Don't mind the Paranoid Drug Addicts they complicate everything, without regard]

You'll do well if you pay attention to my first post, it really isn't an E.E. problem., but you should nail it with some changes, mild troubleshooting & care. =AE

good luck =AE

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:57:20 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy Q.T.) Gave us:

Your mother should be a jailed felon for not flushing your lame ass, the moment your were squirted out of hers.

Fuck off, you retarded asshole. Stop posting your mealy mouthed, retarded WebTV twit baby bullshit, and I will stop calling you a pile of bullshit, baby.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:02:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy Q.T.) Gave us:

You explained nothing. You know nothing. It's obvious... you are on WebTV.

Reply to
TokaMundo

From: snipped-for-privacy@weedizgood.org (TokaMundo) On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:02:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy Q.T.) Gave us: You'll do well if you pay attention to my first post, it really isn't an E.E. problem., but you should nail it with some changes, mild troubleshooting & care.

=A0=A0=A0=A0You explained nothing. You know nothing. It's obvious... you are on WebTV.

WEBTV ROCKS !!!

I see You've graduated to injecting now have you .... coke or heroin?

Truth is you sound like a Raving Maniac with your Injected noise idea....cut your loses and go hang out with the gang and while your with them, fire up another one of those doobies Buzz Kill

For These purposes WebTV beats any online PC., you prejudice no name bafoon.

Take control of yourself. leave ~>

Any chumps aflame ., I've Been fixing stereos since the late 70's....=AE

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

I'm not going to repeat that

but TOKAPingas, you should ask your mamma to buy you a WebTV, it beats that bogus ISP your posting with.

all you need to get is a matching transformer to couple that connection properly like the one supplied in a preamp or cheap old amplifier.,

ABout the OP: why am I even argueing over some Cheap Gemini Mixer and some Newmark Record Player.[ throw that junk out and get a real system to plug and play on your PC]

THIS IS NOT AN AUDIOPHILES GROUP

=AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Actually he did mention a computer (pc). Roy's posts are often off. However, perhaps you could both e-mail each other with the personal stuff. It reflects badly on both of you and makes newsgroups a real pain.

Bud--

Reply to
Bud

From: snipped-for-privacy@isp.com (Bud)

TokaMundo wrote: On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:45:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy Q.T.) Gave us: too much hum... Group: alt.engineering.electrical Date: Wed, Jun 22, 2005, 6:27am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@wyan.org (Farmdog) Ok, here's the deal. I'm trying to record from my turntable to my pc. Try a separate preamp before your mixer and Attenuate the Output to the mixer, you will need to Minimize your Output because matching the computer and audio components you are using will be very difficult...

=A0=A0=A0=A0He never mentioned a computer at all. Do you always make retarded presumptions?

Actually he did mention a computer (pc). Roy's posts are often off. However, perhaps you could both e-mail each other with the personal stuff. It reflects badly on both of you and makes newsgroups a real pain. Bud--

How Kind of you to mention that Bud, I didn't know you were reading. How is it that you can say I'm often off?, since not one of the people i've helped come back to say my response didn't work, I know my responses work if applied and the least they ameliorate the problems.....But, everyone is entitled to their opinions., as you have seen, others are just trying to Inflame me., some succeed.

FYI: I base my responses on my 30+ years of studies in the fields of Electronics & Electricity, actual experience and events that have worked for me, anyone trying to disclaim that is not tuned in right, or Off as well.

Note * my apologies for my method, words & unorthodox intervention., it is not a personal taste of stuff.This is quite a Thankless job we do at times.

Roy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:03:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy Q.T.) Gave us:

Dumbfuck. Matching transformers went out in the sixties, and limit audio bandwidth.

You are a mere PA tech, at best.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:03:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy Q.T.) Gave us:

And YOU are NOT an audiophile.

Your "matching transformer" remark PROVES that fact.

Reply to
TokaMundo

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 02:04:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy Q.T.) Gave us:

BWuahahahahaahahaahah!!!!!

Reply to
TokaMundo

From: snipped-for-privacy@weedizgood.org (TokaMundo) On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 02:04:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy Q.T.) Gave us: How Kind of you to mention that Bud, I didn't know you were reading. How is it that you can say I'm often off?

=A0=A0=A0=A0BWuahahahahaahahaahah!!!!!

Wassup chiken liver, you laugh like a cow that's about to die under a probe. Remember this: He who laughs last, laughs best. Coward !!!

Reply to
Roy Q.T.