UPS built into computers

Stuart wrote:

And you don't get it. Adding a resistor makes a simple R/C timer. If you limit the current, it takes longer to charge. With that time limit, it can't recover fast enough for a second event. Most failures around here are in groups of three, as the reclosers attempt to restore power twice, before leaving the line open.

You just need to do the sums.
--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011
Stuart wrote:

I did. About 15 years ago, and the answer was that it was a useless project.

http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/hardware/ups/btups/index.htm
--
They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 16:33:02 -0400, "George Jetson"

Yeah. Something like that. It weighs 8lbs so I am guessing it still takes a pretty large battery.
It also looks like this one is switching the 120V. The one I had in mind would do the internal voltage after the power supply.
100 bucks is pretty pricey. Pretty cool though.

We did that once. A 12 volt SLA battery was inside the power supply. Same circuits that created DC voltages also charged the battery and could obtain power from that battery. Battery only provided power on AC power loss - to preserve battery life expectancy. A UPS in a smaller package requiring less parts and money. The product had no market. People wanted a separate UPS anyway as if it does more because it was separate. Undoing well entrenched bias is difficult.

The UPS in the link posted earlier is supposed to furnish 300W for 8 min. This solves 100% of the power loss problem, but it is more expensive and heavy.
What I had in mind only solved 90% of the problem, but could be made lighter and cheaper. The one I had in mind would not need a serial port to shut down the computer either, although I am guessing that what ever holds the logic to do the switching from normal to UPS would do shutdown for almost nothing.
I think automatic back up should be built into software and not hardware. My computing is for fun and not work, though.
Metspitzer wrote:

XP has a built in monitor.

You're talking through the back of your neck. You're asking for a high-integrity backup system yet don't want to pay for it. Get real, for pity's sake.
John