UPS built into computers

Michael A. Terrell Inscribed thus:

Its possible that the "power good" signal would be delayed enough to compensate for the capacitor charge time. Equally its also possible that the initial surge would simply shut down the PSU altogether preventing a power up at all !

Reply to
Baron

If it was a simple fix, someone would be selling power supplies touting the advantage. Gamers will buy almost anything at almost any price.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You just need to do the sums.

Reply to
Stuart

I did. About 15 years ago, and the answer was that it was a useless project.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Michael A. Terrell Inscribed thus:

Too true !

Reply to
Baron

Pretty sure that display was fed internally by a mere 12 Volts.

I still have my "Hi Res" (for the day) Ball, green phosphor, monochrome 720x350 Hercules type display and I run it from a 12V dongle or even a 9V battery all the time.

The heater and the anode are the biggest loads. I'd bet that the XT integrated display does not get fed 120 VAC, so there would be no issue with parking heads, etc.. You would have time.

The place for the UPS is EXTERNAL to the PC. This thread is lame, because just like 63/37 solder, we scientists figured out the best way a long time ago.

The UPS is a separate entity from the computer. Dopes that try to build better mouse traps should be better at choosing what mouse traps need improvement first.

Reply to
Nunya
6dnV-cpqUwIpLTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com...

THAT IS STUPID.

" Somewhere"? You did not think this through, did you, dumbass?

Certainly not you. You cannot even do the conceptual end.

No shit? D'oh!

You glom onto whatever you think is "cool" eh? Try to glom onto some brains first.

Reply to
Nunya

Would you consider it worthless during the times when the power just blinked? This happens much more frequently than a power outage.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Yes. They cost more than a real UPS, and were unreliable.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell