Ceiling fan not working

I have a remote control fan/light and the fan is not working. Once the light bulb burned out and since the light and fan do not work anymore with the
remote. I can open and turn off the light with the wall switch. The wall switch is a standard one and can only operate the light. I can see the red light on the remote when I press the buttons and the small switches on the remote are in the same position so their position was not changed.
Before I disassemble the fan is there another piece than the receiver that could be faulty?
Is there a way to test the receiver?
Also I may replace the receiver and remote by an universal kit if the original piece is too expensive because it is an old model that still look very good. Is there any good reliable cheap kit you know about. BTW I am still searching the net.
Thank you
VD
I should have said there are no chains on the fan and light.
VD

Make sure the switches on the fan are on.

I never touched the switches on the fan so they are in the same position than the remote. Also I just found out my fan has integrated circuitry so now I have no idea if it will be easy to bypass it with a kit. I got some good information here and I am still reading. http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/ceiling-fan-controls.php
VD

Well never mine I will need to find the manufacturer name when I disassemble the fan and if it is still in business. This fan may be 25 years old but look like two. This is what I found below;
_____________________________ 3. Replacement parts:
Unfortunately, outside of Universal remotes, general replacement parts are not available for remote control systems. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer.
3a. Repair:
Also unforunately, most problems with remote controls cannot be repaired outside of what is suggested above. If you have problems, contact the manufacturer, perhaps the fan is under warranty, or parts are available. Otherwise chances are the fan will stay broken.

At the risk of asking the obvious...have you changed the batteries in the remote?

Of course I did. I wrote in my first post I could see the red light when I pressed the buttons on the remote. Well I will see what I can do when I will disassemble the fan.
VD