Use different size wire in electro clutch?

The coil in an industrial electromagnetic clutch (connecting the flywheel to the drive mechanism) has gone open-circuit. So it is being rewound by a motor
rewind shop.
I was just informed that the original wire was about 12 ga. (maybe slightly larger; original was metric) but it was rewound using 10 ga.
Should I be worried about this change in wire size? Will this change the magnet's strength significantly? The current draw?
Here's the original schematic:
<
http://i47.tinypic.com/2lkpt94.jpg
"F" is the clutch coil. The machine isn't currently wired to mains so the clutch's exact operating voltage isn't known. The transformer voltage that supplies the rectifier bridge seems to be 32 v (per label on the schematic). Here's photos of the clutch. (The coil is imbedded in a groove in the metal cylinder.) ::
<
http://i48.tinypic.com/2hnyqll.jpg
<
http://i46.tinypic.com/2nlg5de.jpg
<
http://i49.tinypic.com/24pjaqu.jpg
<
http://i45.tinypic.com/29bdduw.jpg
<
http://i47.tinypic.com/291c7cw.jpg
Will this change in wire size cause me troubles?
Thanks, Dave
DaveC wrote:

Why do Americans persist in using stupid AWG that no-one else in the world uses except to entertain you ?
Have you never heard of mm^2 ?
Graham
message

Forget how to convert Graham?
<http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/awg-wire-gauge-d_731.html
I don't think 10 awg will be a problem, as long as the # of turns is the same. Measure the current to be sure.
Cheers

if the wire is a little thicker, the current might be a little higher and the magnetic strength would be a little higher.
looks like you could change the xformer tap to the 30v location if needed. or add a small resistor in series.
Mark
Martin Riddle wrote:

Oh I can convert. Trouble is, IME a single gauge can cover a range of CSAs. Plus it's pointlessly and wastefully time consuming.
Graham
Eeyore wrote:

You paint with a wide brush. I'd be perfectly content to use metric, and end up using both systems regularly but it's not as if it's up to me what the whole country uses.
James Sweet wrote:

And you dont care about the rest of the world? If you want a clear answer ask a clear question. Dont hide behind obscure local encodings.
James Sweet wrote:

The USA is 'supposed' to be metricated. hy you choose to be so backward never fails to amaze me. Any given wire gauge covers a wide range of cross-sectional areas. At least you know what you're getting with mm2.
Graham
-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address
Eeyore wrote:

What's the matter, challenging for you?
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 03:17:14 +0000, Eeyore wrote:

Rubbish

Oh that is quite straightforward, the powers that be are aware that the clarity of metric units assists in thinking straight; and they don't want the proles to do that.
Eeyore wrote:

We don't need to dumb things down to a level for idiots to be able to do the math.
--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!

On Dec 16, 9:27pm, Eeyore

Now that is a helpful comment. Maybe because we are??? Why are there three distinct classes of units in physics? (eventhough SI units are somewhat universal). Cross sectional area and diameter are basic parameters that engineers understand and taught to convert between any system of units. Difference between an engineer and an hack? I like blue, you may like purple. Our rocket went to the moon, you don't have one...Sheese, don't ya have enough nits to pick? -John

Forget the dumb donkey. He's just another jealous Europeon.
jjh wrote:

It is indeed. AWG does not specify an explicit conductor CSA.

TOTALLY universal except for the USA, Liberia and Burma / Myanmar, both somewhat backward countries you have chosen to retain compatability with. Some might say the USA is rather backward too. The high level of belief in religion is one pointer to that.

Conversion is a waste of time and a source of errors. There is only ONE system of units I need for engineering.

And what did you get from going to the Moon ?
Furthermore we have ESA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Space_Agency and Galileo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_ (satellite_navigation)
It knocks spots off GPS.
Graham
-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 03:54:32 +0000, Eeyore wrote:

AWG does not specify conductors. It specifies *wires*. There are other types of wire than electrical.
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 02:27:19 +0000, Eeyore

Mostly inertia, of course. On the other hand, the AWG scale is right simple to use to swag the nominal wire resistance, given that it's a log scale and starting with AWG 10 = 1 ohm/1000 feet (yeah, "feet" but ...).
--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Rich Webb wrote:

Oh dear ! Is that how it was specified ? At what temperature btw ?
Graham
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

motor
slightly
Metric is for people that have to count on their fingers !
bg wrote:

of course as any fool knows it should be either SWG or thousanths of an inch ;)