Use different size wire in electro clutch?

John Fields wrote:

I didn't go bonkers at all. I just picked an easy target to stir you up.

We can convert too, you know. Thankfully only an issue for you lot.

Why don't you use it ?
Graham
-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 04:02:30 +0000, Eeyore

--
And why would you want to do that? Just to make trouble, no doubt.

I noticed that while you were gone the atmosphere around here stunk a
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 01:09:40 -0600, John Fields

I'll bet folks in the industry were calling out wire by American Wire Gauge calls long before folks 'over there' were calling wires out in direct cross sectional area numerics. We hade/have circular mils, and you guys have square millimeters.
Eventually, the world will, perhaps, be all metric. Maybe one day there will be a singular monetary system or government... sure.
Don't hold your breath.
For now we will all, both you (Eeyore's 'over there' crowd)and us, savor the nostalgia that our truly scientific ancestors gave us. We will cling to those things that we think important. Every 'scientist' knows how to measure length regardless of what ticks are on the scale... still, every man likes to do so with *his own* ruler.
All the automation and such in 'science and industry' these days has made for some 'scientists' that are titled or held in regards that are far beyond their actual level of competency or depth of knowledge.
I am glad that you are not in that boat, John.
The classical engineers are all but gone... a dying breed.
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 17:23:33 -0800, lurch

--
Thank you, that's very kind. :-)

JF

lurch wrote:

And as the sun sinks slowly into the west, we bid a fond farewell to the great engineers of the past. It was a dark and stormy night, ......
I know some pretty amazing ones, so the breed is far from dead.
Cheers
Phil Hobbs
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:28:00 -0500, Phil Hobbs

I'd bet all hold degrees that are more than ten years old, and come from educational paradigms that are a far cry from what takes place in today's classrooms.
Kids these days are lucky. What should really happen is that they all get forced to use a slide rule for the entire first year of secondary school. Get a feel for the numbers, as it were.
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 01:09:40 -0600, John Fields

Probably more like 140 cm for him. Conservative guess. :-)
That's enough arguing already! Lets compromise and use the FFF units system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFF_system
--
Paul Hovnanian snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 17:54:56 -0800, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."

Or FSF (Furlong Stone Fortnight).
Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

Long ago I reclassified all my enamelled copper wire into potrzebie units for simplicity

Otherwise agreed. Any world wide "Standard"agreement is an extended version of what is going on in Copenhagen- politicians and special interests drag it out indefinitely as it is important to get ones first class travel to expensive places -preferrably in a warm place with cheap booze.
--
-----
Don Kelly

Same kinds of "scientists" gave Gore a Nobel Peace Prize.
The world is a strange place.
"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

I don't see cubits mentioned there.
Graham
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 02:27:19 +0000, Eeyore wrote:

Metric magnet wire (enameled copper wire to you) is usually specced in diameter, rather than cross sectional area.
DaveC wrote:

It'll be roughly the same if the volume of conductor in the winding is the same.

Probably higher. Larger gauge wire (lower resistance), fewer turns (if the winding volume is a limiting factor). Its the ampere turns that affect the strength.

I see taps on the trnsformer secondary. It might be possible to compensate for the winding change by selecting a lower voltage tap. If that doesn't interfere with the other relay(?) sharing the tap.
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 17:53:22 -0800, DaveC wrote:

"About 12 gauge" is hardly an engineering statement. Didn't they use a micrometer?
Possibly 2mm diameter.
(maybe slightly

#12 wire is 2.053mm dia. #10 is 2.588.
Best practice would be to wind for the same number of amp-turns as before.
From wire tables, changing from #12 to #10 wire,the resistance of the same number of turns will decrease by a factor of approximately 0.6. The current will correspondingly increase by a factor of approximately 1.6, hence so will the amp-turns, assuming the supply voltage stays constant. How much the strength of the magnet will increase depends upon the magnetic properties of the magnet iron. If the magnet was originally operated close to saturation, the increase in pulling strength may not be very much.
The power dissipated in the copper is proportional to current squared, hence 1.6 for the same voltage. The coil will run hotter.
There's also the issue of supply regulation. Will the transformer supply the increased current without significant voltage drop?
Why did they rewind it using #10? Didn't they have any #12? I'm surprised they didn't have metric sizes, there are a lot of Japanese and European motors around.