Very fine (hideable) microphone wire

I am in the UK. I have an electret mic capsule and want to connect it to my MP3 voice recorder with a few feet of very thin mic cable of
something like 1.5 to 2mm diameter.
The mic capsule is from Maplins see (http://tinyurl.com/yhfjlb ).
Can I just use any thin mic cable or do I have to match some electrical characteristics?
Any idea where I can get some thin cable as Maplin's thinnest is over 6mm diameter?
--
Seems that

Any thin coax will do if you only need it to run a few feet. If you really want it close to invisible, build a balanced line input amp and run it from a twisted pair. That could be made out of fine enamelled wire chosen to match hair colour, it could be damn close to invisible, even in good light at close range.

The twisted pair idea seems nice but wouldn't be suitable for my case.
Does the coax have to be specifically "mic coax"?

Nope.. Short lengths for audio with limited bandwidth like small electrets have, is one of the least demanding things. Depends how much noise you can tolerate. If that noise is regular you can remove it from recordings with software, but it's still worth trying to reduce at source if it's intrusive.
Try what Baron said, find the cores of an old monitor cable, I never thought of that before, it is probably very good stuff.
Even without the balanced line, the twisted pair might be workable. Worth trying just to see how it goes.
Jon D wrote:

If I want a length of thin co-ax cable, I chop the video lead from a scrap monitor and strip one out of that. 75ohm and usually good quality too. A bonus is its in multiple colors!
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

I would just take two lengths of enamelled copper wire, twist them together, and see if that works OK.

I'll try it but I would half-expect the most awful hum near mains equipment.

Sometimes things just work out better than expected. I've seen it happen many a time.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I doubt it, because the pair will be well twisted, and the hum will cancel more than cause bother. Also, the main problem with mains is induction, and an electret mic circuit has a high impedance, so not much current can be induced. Try it. If the noise is unacceptable even over the short distance you're using, use coax from cheap earphones, like I said, or from an old monitor cable, as Baron said. I won't say anymore, I'm repeating myself already now.
for short run ( <10 feet) i use flat copper laminated sheet wire. , similar to the stuff u see inside jap cameras for interconnects. can be run under anything or painted to conceal. its tough as nails, resists tearing too, even used it to hang decoration to conceal the microphones!
even have used aluminum foil between plain scotch tape!
be inventive, dont get hamstrung with commercial dealers!

Can I buy a few feet of "flat copper laminated sheet wire"? I can't find it on Google or Froogle.
Is it something which has to be cannibalised from defunct electronic equipment?
try the surplus houses, silicon surplus, digikey, electronic goldmine, etc
it is also supplied as power distribution bus wire, not as flat though, (.01 inch thik)
yes, cannibalism is a great way to derive this stuff, only the configurations are very limited that way due to short run pieces.