Whatever happened to "Closed loop power distribution" ?

While paging through the Canadian electrical code, I found a section on something called "closed loop power distribution " - and it's in the US
NEC, too (article 780). What was this all about? What happened to it?
Bill ( a Google search has so far been unsatisfactory...except that it shows the original company went broke.)

I'm not familiar with it, maybe it is like a 'ring main'?

---------- I think "operator Jay" has it right. Possibly on a reatevely small scale such as within a single building. The going broke may be that the advantages vs disadvantages on a small scale with a single source infeed said "not worth the effort".

remove the X to answer

It actually refers to closed loop communication. It is the "smart house" concept. The hybrid wiring includes power, signaling and communication conductors. There is a communication protocol between the power system and "smart" utilization devices, so the proper power is supplied (ie. 120VAC, DC UPS, telephone, etc.). The NEC handbook has some description of it in article 780.
Ben Miller
--
Benjamin D. Miller, PE
B. MILLER ENGINEERING

Thank You, Ben It seems that the different parts of the EE world don't always speak the same language. Just like men and women.

remove the X to answer