Who owns this Group ?

If it's Charles Perry I'm out of here !

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Charles Perry owns this group....bye!

Reply to
Jackcsg

There is an easy, easy way to have him stop busting your balls. Quit posting crap.

operator jay

I would agree with that!

Reply to
John G

Is it really Charles ?

sorry

I'll be back for another coat of Shelac if I should need one };-)

Roy ~ E.E.Technician

Butttt., if it's not; I'll be back to rip at your collective idiocy, even though I may be the proud holder of the highest idiotic percentage }:-{)

thank you RQT

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

| Subject: Who owns this Group ? | | If it's Charles Perry I'm out of here !

For the purpose of this discussion, I hereby proxy my interest to Mr. Perry.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Re: Who owns this Group ? Group: alt.engineering.electrical Date: Sun, Mar 6, 2005, 10:05am (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:40:55 -0500 Roy Q.T. wrote: Subject: Who owns this Group ?

  • |t would be nice if we all new who started the Discussion Group.

| If it's Charles Perry I'm out of here !

For the purpose of this discussion, I hereby proxy my interest to Mr. Perry.

-- Why ? at least I can admit when I'm off :-{)=AE

---------------------------------------------- | Phil Howard KA9WGN =A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0 =A0
| | (first name) at ipal.net |
=A0

so., who sarted this discussion group ? tell us why ?

Roy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Well, it's clear it is 'unmoderated' ;-). AFAIK, this particular group goes way back before the web. Some groups go back as far as darpanet and the original news RFC.

No one 'owns' it, it is carried on many news servers. An ISP or other news server's administrator makes the decision to carry a particular group based on demand, usefulness, bandwidth and storage requirements.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

That might be interesting, but it serves no valid purpose. The individual who newgroup'd it does not own it, has no control over it at all, and most certainly is not a moderator in any way.

Whatever, this group has been around for at least ten years, but the google archive doesn't come up with anything about just exactly when it was started.

That's a lot of admitting to do.

What do you mean "tell us why?"? Why did somebody start the group? Isn't that obvious?

Mr. Perry started it to have fun slapping you around. Any other questions? ;-)

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

This is all i can give you for now.

I've been around quite a while, about 10yrs. online.

my first bout with a Computer was at age 8=BD, an IBM card puncher in a very cool office room off a main street in a Manhattan based bank firm.

If you've been paying attention to Mr. Perry & the others razzzing me, I also saw Monkeys with wires coming out of their Skulls at Columbia U, can't recall much else about it though. but I've stayed studious and interested ever since both experiences.

Mr. Perry & I would have better humor than you think. Slapping people around lacks good humor & patience, it was the three stooges ruin., besides: That would be assault. I'll try & refine a standard way of posting & replying ***** Thanks. Roy

-------------------------------------------------- Re: Who owns this Group ? ~>

Group: alt.engineering.electrical Date: Sun, Mar 6, 2005, 10:32am (EST-4) From: snipped-for-privacy@barrow.com (Floyd=A0L.=A0Davidson)

I've reformatted your article, with pr snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy Q.T.) wrote: =A0=A0=A0=A0|t would be nice if we all new who started the Discussion Group.

i was teasing> For the purpose of this discussion, I hereby proxy my interest to Mr. Perry. Why ? at least I can admit when I'm off :-{)=AE

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Good looking out daestrom... just wondering what happened to the puzzle. =AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com (Paul=A0Hovnanian=A0P.E.)wrote: Check your credit card statement and see who bills you every time you post here.

---------------------------------------------- Dyslexics have more fnu.

you dont snay

Maybe I should start my own billings & get some $ too.

Roy Q.T. ~ E.E.T.

" I need money now to soothe my heart "

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Check your credit card statement and see who bills you every time you post here.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Actually, this group isn't all that old. The oldest articles found on Google are from July 1995; except none of them appear to be about a new group, so it probably was in existance before that.

Regardless, it seems you are confusing Usenet with Internet too. Usenet began in late 1979, and didn't use the Internet for transport until the mid/late 1980's. By perhaps 1988/9 virtually (but not quite) all transport was on The Internet.

Usenet originally used dialup modem calls to transfer news around the country. Several large companies with considerable discretionary telephone budgets (ATT, HP, SRI all come to mind) handled most of the cross country load, and many university computer or engineering departments were responsible for local and regional distribution.

A "well connected" site would see most traffic within 1 day, and almost everything else with in 2 days of when it was posted. When transport via NNTP protocols on the Internet became common, it was just amazing to see propagation times down in the range of a few minutes... and sites still using UUCP (modem) connections would find they'd get, after the fact, complete discussions where the back and forth exchanges were only minutes apart, and the entire discussion was finished by the time they saw it. (Of course, today that kind of exchange is very common, and hardly seems unusual.)

Ideally.

In fact, I think most of the users here have recently found a reason to elect (no matter what he wants) Charles Perry to be the "owner".

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Wow! Thanks....I think. Errr, should I make some kind of acceptance speach?

Just kidding.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Skip the !@#$%^&* speach. You've been in office for several days with but one single purpose in your charter.

And yet he's *still* here!

WHY?

We want *performance* Perry. *PERFORMANCE*!

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

That is a very nice sentiment Floyd, but it's not up for a vote., MSN owns it, I was trying to find out if the person who first typed in: alt.engineering.elecrtical, was still around, He alone is the creator and true owner of this discussion group.

RQT

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

That is a very nice sentiment Floyd, but it's not up for a vote., MSN owns it, I was trying to find out if the person who first typed in: alt.engineering.elecrtical, was still around, He alone is the creator and true owner of this discussion group.

You don't seem to understand, that USENET was around *before* MS-DOS 1.0. And this particular group was around *before* MSN existed (was one of thousands of beta-testers for MSN). Anyway, creating a group is hardly 'owning' it since it is 'created' by one person, on someone elses server, over a third party ISP. The news-server can delete it anytime they feel like.

Google boasts it has USENET messages going back to 1981, but that far back I wonder at the 'completeness' of such a compilation. When UUCP was used, the breadth of groups collected by servers was much narrower than today because of various limitations. (just setting up UUCP to update from remote servers was a lot of 'fun')

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

  1. It is not a nice sentiment. 2. It is up for a vote. 3. MSN dosn't own it. 4. The first person to type it never did own it. 5. He probably wasn't the creator either. 6. If he was, he still wouldn't be the owner. 7. This is *not* a 'discussion group', it is a Usenet newsgroup.
Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

You're all wrong !

It could only be deleted if the creator or originator requests it be deleted or if it was abandoned, not in use, or demand which is not likely to happen. =AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.