will a diffirent AC/DC adapter cause damage to my monitor?

I lost my LCD monitor DC adaptor, the input is 12V 2A. I tried to use a 12V 1.2A instead for 2 hours, the monitor works fine. Will it cause damage to my monitor if I continue to use this 12V 1.2A AC/DC adaptor? Cheers, EdgeBall

Reply to
edgeBall

It might. It is quite likely to damage the 1.2A adapter, by loading it beyond its rating. When the adapter dies, it may fail in such a way (shorted regulator) as to produce an excessive output voltage, which may then damage the monitor.

Bob Weiss N2IXK

Reply to
Bob Weiss

If you will measure the current pull by the monitor. If the monitor is pulling the full 1.2 amps you should get another 2 amp adapter. If it is not then the 2amp rating is there mostly for power-up and that adapter should work for a long while without any problem.

Reply to
Mark