Re: Electrical Power Question

Generally, utilities reference a national standard that limits sustained voltage at the delivery point (meter) to 126/252 or maybe 127/254. but it's usually voluntary unless enforced by a state Public Utilities Commission. If the utility won't act on your complaint, then the PUC might.

It sounds like you have enough evidence for a valid complaint. Be aware that temporary voltage excursions are harder to control than if sustained.

If you are going to quote numbers, make absolutely sure you have a known-accurate voltmeter. 115-120 volts is ideal. Their transformer may or may not have taps for voltage adjustment. Be aware of the accuracy extremes of the meter, and allow for the possibility of errors in readings. It is possible that the PUC may do independent checks.

In the US, many utilities and state PUCs have websites that may contain specifics on customer-service conditions, but may not be easy to find.

One solution on your own may be to have an electrical contractor install "buck" transformers, to reduce voltage by, say, 12 volts in 120. Buck transformers do not regulate anything, but reduce voltage to the load as a fixed percentage of the source.

{The low end is about 110/220, or 106/212 for other than incandescent lighting.}

--s falke

"Haskell Lee" wrote...

> I need some information and I don't know of a > better place to go. > > I have 260 and 130 volts coming into my home > from the local co - op. I believe this it too much > voltage. My bulbs burn out too soon, my dishwasher > protector, on several occasions, has cut out and after > a few minutes will come back on. My wife complains > that her vacuum cleaner smells hot. > my TVs don't last. I have complained to the power > company and their answer is people want plenty of > power: whatever that means. I've asked them to > reduce my power at their transformer, but they > refuse. > > What is the ideal voltage? What should the > minimum voltage that a 115 VAC appliance can > run properly. This is not to mention the excessive > high cost of power in my neighborhood. > I'm of the impression that most appliances will > run efficiently at 110 VAC. Am I wrong? > > Hack
Reply to
s falke
Loading thread data ...

He says he is served by a co-op. If that is the case, the PUC has no jurisdiction. All he can do is complain to the utility and perhaps the local government. Co-ops are political entities.

You also need measurements from a calibrated (traceable) meter. You can rent them.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.