Wire size vs. Breaker Size---Followup Question

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

Yes, that is what I meant. I picked up "torque plate" from a descriptive term in Long Ranger's post. No reason to be familiar unless you carefully read back in the thread. Sorry for not being clearer.
----- Everybody seems to agree "backstabs" are not reliable (including me). Anyone have an idea why they are allowed by UL?
-- bud--

I still say pigtailing the wire is superior and that using a device to carry your circuit is a poor substitute. The wire itself is much more robust than connecting across that phony little set of screws that exist on a .79 cent receptacle. I can't say I've seen many instances of that two screw connection failing, but there have been some. On a spec-grade receptacle, it seems a bit more plausible, but I have used some residential grade devices that stripped out before I thought they had enough torque on them to make a good connection.
On the subject of "backstabs" I see that the residential guys around here are switching almost exclusively to "Wago" stab-in connectors. It seems like an extension of the backwire idea applied to wire connectors. I have a friend who contracts tract homes and he says it's all they use, barring connections that involve fine strand. He showed me some, and they go from 2-wire up to 8-wire configurations, with a max of #12 for size. Doesn't seem like a step in the right direction to me, but maybe they have perfected the idea somehow.
| I still say pigtailing the wire is superior and that using a device to carry | your circuit is a poor substitute. The wire itself is much more robust than | connecting across that phony little set of screws that exist on a .79 cent | receptacle. I can't say I've seen many instances of that two screw | connection failing, but there have been some. On a spec-grade receptacle, it | seems a bit more plausible, but I have used some residential grade devices | that stripped out before I thought they had enough torque on them to make a | good connection.
I've seen pigtails fail more. I think any failure is the result of some aspect of not being done properly.
| On the subject of "backstabs" I see that the residential guys around here | are switching almost exclusively to "Wago" stab-in connectors. It seems like | an extension of the backwire idea applied to wire connectors. I have a | friend who contracts tract homes and he says it's all they use, barring | connections that involve fine strand. He showed me some, and they go from | 2-wire up to 8-wire configurations, with a max of #12 for size. Doesn't seem | like a step in the right direction to me, but maybe they have perfected the | idea somehow.
The idea is pay the electrician less.