Thermostat for laser printer fuser temp?

Fuser quit working on my laser printer. Removed the fuser and found that the snap-action bimetallic thermostatic switch for the fuser heating element is
open-circuit. I removed it from the fuser and pried it open. Looks brand new. Reassembled it and it now conducts. Then it opened again. Not reliable enough to reinstall due to critical job it does. It rides against the cool roller (not the heated one) and cycles the heating element so as to keep the temperature constant.
Markings on front: PW-2N 5214 E150
on rear: PW-2 PWC
I've googled but only find these in Eastern Europe or China.
Any local suppliers?
Replacement part not available from mfr., and replacement fuser assembly is not financially viable; it'll cost as much as I paid for the printer.
Thanks.

the
is
new.
enough
is
Are U sure? You could only indirectly control the fuser temp. if there was a continuous, unvarying , throughput of paper, no stopping and starting. Is it not just a general output , via air environment, over-temperature cut out ?
-- Diverse Devices, Southampton, England electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list on http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net /

You're probably right. Now that I look at the fuser in the daylight (not in early hours of the morning) I see that there is what must be a small thermistor resting on the heated roller. *This* is most likely the feedback for the heater circuit.
The bimetallic switch must be a over-temp circuit breaker, as you say.
And I now see that they both come in contact with the heated roller, not the pinch roller (I thought the red roller was high-temp stuff...)
But as for replacement, it's all moot, yes? Or do you have a suggestion re. a work-around?
Thanks.

Make and model of hte printer, please.

Samsung SCX-4100
Thanks.
<
http://img12.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img12/1/Thermo.jpg

That looks like a very standard device. Just be sure to get the right temperature.
SparkyGuy wrote:

I am *guessing* that the E150 indicates the temperature. Take a look at Mouser part # 802-STO-160 to see if it will work for you. It is normally closed, and opens when the emperature rises above 155 to 165 F
Ed

ehsjr sez:

Thanks for your comments, Ed. I saw that one but would like to find a direct replacement without having to hack off tabs, etc (original has no separate mounting tabs; the connection tabs are use for screw mounting also).
Also, fuser assembly gets up to high 300f+ so I, too, am guessing at the temp rating. 150f seems a bit low for being in such proximity to the headed roller (few tenths of an inch). Maybe it's 150c (302f)? It *is* a Japanese printer...
The nearest Stancor product is 157f (315c)... too high?

Er... 157c (315f).
SparkyGuy wrote:

I dunno - but I can commiserate with your situation. When my toner ran low, I went to Staples to buy a replacement. 70 dollars! But, serendipity - they had an entire printer (Brother HL-2040) on sale for $110, and it's faster and better than the old one. (The price has dropped on them since I bought, so they are now $120 not on sale.) Anyway, it worked out well for me, but $70 for the toner still rankles! Interesting psychology - I didn't spend $70 and if I had I'd still be unhappy about it. I spent $110 - $40 more, and I'm pleased as punch. And it's actually more than $40 extra when you add in the tax.
Maybe the people who set the prices have an ulterior motive? (How do you make a "frowny face" icon with smoke coming out of its ears?)
Ed

Yeah, just now I looked on Office Depot for toner and it's $85!! And it's a *tiny* cartridge. Will see what's on sale when this toner runs out (c:
But what kind of world are we making where the economy pushes us to fill landfills with this stuff? Maybe total recycle (what with RoHS regulation) every time toner runs out? Hmm... Are disposable computers (with removable data cartridge) next? Cars?
I use www.inkjetsuperstore.com to get toner for about $32 instead of staples $80 or so, and it works good. I won't buy a laser printer without checking to make sure I can get the toner cheap online somewhere :-)

Usually these discount printers come with a toner cartridge that is about half full so you will be buying toner pretty soon anyway. Sometimes I believe they sell printers below cost just to create a market for toner. I am sure that is true for ink jets
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes

ISTR reading somewhere that Xerox's business plan is to sell consumables and the hardware is only sold to create the market. Xerox used to give free printers to companies if they signed up to a contract for consumables. If toner and ink wasn't so profitable why would manufacturers go to lengths to prevent people cloning or refilling cartridges.
--
Clint Sharp

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 00:57:38 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Kodak marketing: give away the camera and sell the film...
Worked well until there was no film!

Seconded.Iraklion is full of "inkstation" stores, specialized in refilling (almost) all inkjet cartridges.I never had a laser so don't know if they refill toner cartridges also.Some come also to the point of taking the empty cartridges from your office, and bring it back refilled!I read a survey in a german magazine, stating that inkjet ink is the most expensive fluid, even more expensive than, say, perfume (Chanel No.5).I have a refill kit for the z605 lexmark, complete with syringes and vacuum chamber and 100 ml worth of generic black ink for 15 euros...I don't like very much the idea of filling landfills with things that could be refurbished, they are already full enough.So, I gave my old printer (Lexmark z605) to mu godmother when her failed, and promised to refill her cartridges because 30 euros for 10ml of black ink is outrageous.My recent acquired canon pixma iP 4300, however, is excellent for photo printing, can print on printable cd-rs, can print on both sides of each sheet of paper, has 5 ink (tanks)cartridges, disposable ink head,(black, bulk black, cyan,magenta, yellow).Cost only 130 euros and the ink tanks come very reasonably at 15 euros each.The printer *and* the ink tanks are made in japan, and the tanks have a little chip that prevents you from refilling them, but also because the printer has the smallest droplet in the market (1pl I think), after 3 months and at least 200 4X5 " photos only the magenta tank run out.
-- Tzortzakakis Dimitrios major in electrical engineering mechanized infantry reservist dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 00:57:38 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's exactly what they do.
--
W "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
. | ,. w ,
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It's not only true, they also have a separate "drum cartridge" (rather than the old system of toner and drum as one). This would be fine, except that the pricing there is literally insane: I recently purchased two complete printers, because the price of the complete printer with drum cartridge and half-full toner cartridge was _less_ than the drum cartridge alone. I have two complete chassis for spare parts and/or the junkyard...I'd offer to send the OP a thermostat, but it's clearly a different printer (this one reads the hot roller) and there are no visible markings on it at all (I have not fully disassembled the fuser assembly to see if there are any on the backside of it, but the visible parts have no markings).
Brother, at least, has also been working to reduce the capacity of their toners and drums - the 51XX series costs significantly less per page than the newer 20XX series. Both have the nasty and undesirable behavior of simply stopping printing when THEY think the toner is low, or the drum is shot (as does the newer HP we have) rather than advising you that the toner is low and continuing to print until you don't like the prints (more evidence that it's all a scam to sell more toner).
It gets worse with color laser printers. Saw one on sale recently for $300, priced a set of toner, $600, drum was another $200-300...and the "starter toner", upon investigation, was not even half-full - more like 10%.

I was mistaken -- the thermal cut-out safety switch in the Samsung 4100 I'm trying to fix does monitor thet hot roller (I always though the red-coated one was the hot one... apparently not).

Well if it looks like this:
<
http://img12.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img12/1/Thermo.jpg
(the black end of it with the two mounting/electrical tabs is visible from the exterior of the fuser) please consider it.
Thanks, Sparky