clean laser printer toner from parts?

I recently tore down an old laser printer. Lots of great gears and stuff inside, but covered with toner. Anyone know of a good
solvent to wash that stuff off of plastic gears without damage? Wash off electronics & motors without damage?
Thanks! JCD
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:10:25 -0400, "pogo"

The only solvent I know that will take laser toner, is acetone. You will just have to test if the plastic parts are made from a type of plastic that isn't affected by the acetone. The problem is that laser toner *is* actually a type of plastic. What type of plastic varies, so it may even be possible to find toner that does not dissolve in acetone.
But it is unlikely that the toner oln your parts is "fused". If so, it will actually be a fine powder that may be possible to blow away using compressed air.
--
RoRo

thanks RoRo!
message

I know this sounds like a really bad idea ... but its still worth asking: anyone ever used anything like EasyOff or other oven cleaner on gears, parts, motors, etc ? Does it melt any kind of plastic ?
Thanks!
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 00:19:45 -0400, "pogo"
wrote:

message

Oven cleaners usually have strong alkali components that can damage aluminum and probably destroy electronics. Toner is just finely powered plastic. For removing grease/oil from components, waterless hand cleaner might be a safe alternative.