Thermostat for laser printer fuser temp?

wrote:

Thanks. :)

Not if you know what you're doing, but it's enough of a pain to get at the relevant part of the fuser that I've never bothered doing it unless I run into symptoms like the OP's, or am opening up the printer for some other reason, in which case I'll give it a clean up while I'm in there. BTW, a tiny squirt of silicon spray on the woolly, removable wiper on top of the hot roller for every ream of paper you put through the printer will greatly extend the life of the teflon coating on the hot roller, which is hard to obtain, & a pain to replace. It's also good to clean the accumulated gunk of the separation claws (that 'scrape' the paper off the hot roller in its way out), because they're prone to causing paper jams on exit, & can scratch gouges in the teflon hot-roller coating.

It totally depends on the cause, of which there several for that particular symptom. (And there are unrelated problems that cause symptoms that look very similar to the inexperienced.) But yes, the most common cause of dirty backgrounds is a cartridge on its last legs. At a site where they have more than one printer of the same type, the easiest, quickest way to detect a bad cartridge is to swap cartridges with another unit, then do a test print from both.

Most likely the latter. If it came good when you put in the new cartridge, you've got the answer to your question. ;)
--
W "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
Lionel wrote:

Lionel,
Thanks. Good info, as usual!
Ed