A simple rollercoaster

Last weekend I built a simple rollercoaster together with my youngest son (he's 19 now!). It's nothing compared to the big coasters some others have built, but we did have fun!

It only uses 'plain' Lego, old 4.5V train parts, standard bricks, so nothing fancy like loops etc.

after moderation

The trickiest part is having enough speed to climb, while still going slow enough not to tip over in the curves...

Reply to
Anders Isaksson

Cool. I saw this on Lugnet and thought it was pretty cool.

Did you have to permanently bend any of the old track to make this work, or is the track still usable as train track on a flat surface?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Findley

No folding, spindling or mutilation :-) The up/down curving parts are ordinary curves mounted on their side. The construction is a bit flimsy, and after a couple of runs we have to walk the line and make sure everything is tight again.

The 180 degree curve is actually the trickiest part, as we can't get real banking, only a small tilt, and the most common mishap is the car going (more or less) straight forward instead of curving.

Reply to
Anders Isaksson

That was my guess, but this was hard to tell from the pictures. I guess it's time for new glasses and a new monitor. :-)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Findley

It looks fun too.