extensible spline shaft part?

Anybody know of a part that slips onto a cross axle shaft and slides longitudinally while still transmitting torque? That is, in a long cross section it would look something like this:

The part I'm interested in is on the left. It would probably have its own stub of cross axle shaft, connected to a sleeve with a long cross-shaped hole in it that fits (without friction) over another cross axle shaft, here indicated by +++++++++++ on the right. The idea is that the axle shaft on the right can slide in and out:

But while the one part can slide in and out of the other, they can't turn with respect to one another, so turning one shaft would turn the other.

Steve Summit snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com

Reply to
Steve Summit

Hi Steve, The only part I know of that has a cross-shaped hole and fits without friction over a cross axle shaft is a worm gear. You could connect it solidly to one cross axle shaft and it would allow a second cross axle shaft to slide in and out, if only for a little way. Kerry

Reply to
KERRY MONTGOMERY