Lego production to be outsourced - will quality suffer?

Today Lego announced that they'll outsource major parts of production from Billund and Enfield to factories in Mexico and eastern Europe, run by a company called "Flextronics" (flextronics.com) :

Is it just me that worries if quality will suffer from this? Lego already have had some quality issues, possibly from earlier attempts at outsourcing:
the obviously misshapen pieces on this page, they're the results of individual mishaps and promptly replaced. The real issue is the slightly-out-of-spec pieces like those in the "Set10148" folder, in this case plates that's slightly horizontally offset or thinner/thicker than they're supposed to be.

Another issue is colors.

This picture shows that tan Lego and Geotrack pieces underwent a similar color change between 2004 and 2005, indicating the possibility that they were made at the same factory. If that's the case, it might mean that it (due to limited plastic mixing capacity) could be considerably cheaper to use some standard color rather than get it exact to spec. If so, we might see far more "bley" issues in the future.

If the quality control is insufficient, I'm afraid this might hurt Lego *real bad*. I suspect that problems will accumulate and suddenly surface as collectors gets above a critical percentage of sub-standard bricks. Even if problems aren't imminent and new sets hold together fine, they might show poor fit with spesific previous manufacturers. There may also be problems that only shows up after some time, like cracking and discoloration. To me this outsourcing plan seems like one more unneccesary desperate move that only has potential to worsen a crisis caused by ealier unneccesarily desperate moves (juniorization, sub-standard series, computer games, clothes, duplicating Megablok products etc).

Axel Norway

Reply to
axel.REMOVETHIS.eng

I suggest you read