ABUS 65/xx padlocks

Hi there folks.

I hope this isn't OT for this group, but I'm trying to work out this padlock here. It's an ABUS 65/35, and I'm getting contradictory opinions about whether or not it has security pins. Can anyone say for sure?

Thanks in advance. :-)

jim

Reply to
jim.whitson

Abus USA should be able to answer your questions

g'luck

Reply to
Key

Good idea; I've tried looking through their on-line catalogue, but they don't talk about the 65 range at all - they have 45/xx, 75/xx but no

  1. Maybe they've stopped selling them? I'm far from an expert, so I may well be missing something obvious here. Thanks for the link to the contact form.

Reply to
jim.whitson

My 65/50, 65/40 and 65/30 all seem to have a plain front pin and spools for the others. I believe my 65/20 has no security pins.

I've never seen a 65/35. It would take only a couple of seconds to confirm if it is the same as the first 3 above.

Apologies if I've offended anyone.

Reply to
Pat

How many pins do they have in total? Mine has four.

Reply to
jim.whitson
65/50 has 5 65/40 has 5 65/30 has 4 65/20 has 3

(probably sent a reply to your email by mistake, too)

Reply to
Pat

call their 800 number and talk with them.

800) 352-2287
Reply to
Key

When you say "secutity pins", what exactly are you refering to?

When you say you are trying to "work out the padlock", what do you mean?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Yeah, you did. :-)

So it looks like I've probably got some spools in there... Cheers.

Reply to
jim.whitson

I mean differently-shaped top pins, such as mushroom or spool pins which might make the lock more secure by detering manipulation.

Just that; I'm trying to work out what's going on inside it, and I don't fancy taking a hacksaw to it to find out!

Reply to
jim.whitson

Why spend so much time "working out the padlock" as when a padlock is opened by someone without a key picking is often not the best or first choice for the opening method...

Evan, ~~ formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

Manufactuer's spec sheets usually exist, often including exploded parts diagrams.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

You use the term "work out" to define the term "work out".

I get the feeling that you are asking one question to answer another question.

The problem with doing this is even if you get the right answer to the question you asked, you may be no closer to the answer you want.

Try again. It might also help if we can understand your reason for wanting to know. There are a whole bunch of talented locksmiths that by there nature are clever and like to solve problems.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf
<<I get the feeling that you are asking one question to answer another question. >>

Not as far as I'm aware... I really just want to know whether this padlock has trick pins in it.

<<It might also help if we can understand your reason for wanting to know.>>

That's closer to the mark; I can see what you were getting at now! :-)

<<Why spend so much time "working out the padlock" as when a padlock is opened by someone without a key picking is often not the best or first choice for the opening method... >>

No, but it's the most fun choice! ;-)

Seriously though. Obviously I'm trying to pick this lock, but I thought it'd be best to be a little circumspect (i.e. avoid actually discussing picking) based on what the FAQ says. I had thought that asking a question about how a certain lock works would be acceptable, whilst saying "Hey chaps. How do I pick X?" might not be.

Hence the emphasis on 'working out' the lock - my interest isn't in getting it open (the key's in front of me ;-) per se, but in understanding it.

I popped into a local lockie today and he had a squint at it and told me it had no security pins. I'm still waiting for ABUS's response, which I guess I can treat as definative.

Reply to
jim.whitson

OK ask a circumspect question and get a circumspect answer.

The way you tell if your lock has them bugger pins is by what the lock says to you when you ask it.

I realize this may be a frustrating answer but it is a correct answer to your question.

I would go into more detail but ethical concerns prevent me from doing so.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I can tell you that the ABUS 83/45 does have spool pins. I was re-pinning one the other day and was clumsy, so I found out the hard way. :-)

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Apparently the only difference between the /30 and /35 is the vertical shackle clearance. If you want to discuss this with people without using coded language, see

.

Reply to
Pat

Easily done!

I've just 'repinned' a cylinder with a hacksaw; classy. ;-)

Reply to
jim.whitson
<<I would go into more detail but ethical concerns prevent me from doing so.>>

I understand this; that's why I didn't just ask straight out. I'm familiar with the methods for determining what kinds of pins there are; I just lack the physical skill/feel to perform those methods. I was hoping that I could find out for certain whether this lock has any and where they are, so I could practice that skill effectively.

That's why I wanted to make it quite clear that my question is *not* "how do I defeat security pins?" - I know that that's OT for this group. I was just asking a question about a lock mechanism, which AFAIK is on topic.

Reply to
jim.whitson