Chrysler minivan ignition wont turn... common?

You did the right thing. You were up front and honest with the best (cost effective) solution to his problem. He chose to ignore your professional advice.

You can sleep well, my friend. (all the way to the bank)

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Have to admit its been unusually warm this January tho...

Reply to
Aegis

What he paid $200 for was stress reduction -- he could feel he'd done everything possible. May also have been a matter of being able to say exactly that to the spouse. Sometimes those factors are worth the cost even if you don't expect it to solve the problem.

The customer isn't always right. The customer is always the one with the money...

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

so THATS what that grease is... never use the stuff here cause it freezes up really good, especially in the Fords.. I put red wheel bearing grease in the Chevys and Fords, and have never had a 'repeat problem' yet --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Hmmmm. [Light bulb over head goes on]. I used to swear (not in a "religious" way) by the white lithium grease because it holds up so well to moisture. We're about three miles - as the crow flies - from the Chesapeake Bay.

I never even thought about it freezing. I love this group - all things considered.

I just used whatever little packet of grease the manufacturer put in with the locks. (I mostly work on new locks)

I'll stick to the red stuff from now on.

BTW - Now that we know what the white stuff (lithium) and the red stuff (bearing) is, what is the black grease that comes with some auto lock service packs?

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

I would make a GUESS. that its black lubriplate.. used in gunsmith work...

the local Ford dealer had 'problems' with the 96/97 year door locks during the first winter... key would not work.. right key, and all, but....

We, meaning the mechanic and me, had lock in hand and inserted the key... the wafers would NOT move... so, we got ambitious... Stoddards Solvent... (the parts cleaner stuff) nada brake cleaner... again, nada lacquer cleaner? nope gasoline? nope...

stuff works GREAT, till it freezes...

Now, Chevy ign going to it on some of the new locks as well...and me not knowing what it is-toss the little tubes in the trash..

I went to a 'feed and farm supply' and went back to the vet supplies and bought a 30 CC syringe with the LARGEST bore needle I could get, and filled it with the red wheel bearing grease... came with a cover, so it keeps the grease off other things in the tool box. grab (with both hands) squeeze out the amount I need, and recover up. keeps it clean all around. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

When I see black grease my first thought is that it is molybdenum grease. (I.e. grease with moly particles throughout it.) It is really good stuff, but one of the characteristics of this grease is that it really leaves black stains on whatever it gets onto.

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

uses a Strattec

facecap with the

have encounted this

regarding this

wafers

factory. Take a

key whilst it is

turned everytime

all the time when

cables

in... Wha! No

thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Key

I have noted on the stuck ignitions like this, the spring compression is not the only problem. It seems to be a problem with the key dragging a little bit of the keyway into the tumbler chamber. I use an ignition file that I thinned on the grinder to clear the obstruction.

Shine a light through the slots on your fishing weight before you put it back in service.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf