Could this idea work on worn key tip?

Sorry, but I don't know much about locksmithing or what terms to use. My brother has an ancient key which he hardly ever uses, but it has worked for many years. Unfortunately his kid has been using it as a scraping tool, and now the high point near the tip has worn down to the point where the key is unusable. He says a locksmith hasn't been of any help, because it's so old (for all I know, it just might be about my brother being stubborn about doing things himself, though). I was thinking that if we could find some kind of "liquid metal" that would adhere well to brass, he could add some of that to the tip and then file down any excess. And then get a copy made, of course. Does this idea sound like it could work? (If the material just breaks off in the lock it'll only make the problem worse.) Any suggestions on what material to use?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
Mybesttry

take lock and key to another locksmith, explain what the kid did... SHOULD BE fixable...

--Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--

"liquid metal" is probably a waste of time. If you want to fix it yourself the only correct way is to carefully braze it with brass brazing rod. Then file it a little at a time until the key works. If it is more than one location on the key that is worn take it to a locksmith.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

I must agree with the other locksmith who suggested to take the lock and key both to a locksmith.

Getting locked out (or locked in) something at the wrong moment is more trouble than a couple minutes of a locksmith's time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

had a mechanic call...not a dealership, but a private shop... had a 99 S10, was towed in, ignition lock would not turn... the owner already broke off the ears of the lock (manual transmission, BTW-has a button on the lock face)

drilled the rest of the lock out, cause the possibility was the sidebar was bad, and got it out...(seen it happen before, and the key did work the drivers door...) got a NEW lock cylinder and went to pin it up.... HMM... the key was copied 1/2 cut off HORIZONTALLY...

HMM, was an Axness... so, got the key code and made a new key BY CODE... the Axness key was 1 cut too deep, all the way across... (hence the wouldnt turn the ignition, finally)

total bill? guessing close to $2 c notes, between the towing, and lockcylinder etc... all because of a mis copied key. (and I got into the mess AFTER the damage had been done)

--Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--