Re: 'smithing/'picking and appropriate channels

It's really pretty simple. We are payed to protect peoples security. Not to compromise it. Therefore when it comes to giving SPECIFIC information on defeating a certain lock or mechanism to the general public 99% of locksmiths are not going to do it. There is plenty of discussion with regard to security weaknesses within the trade. There is really no need for security professionals to discuss specific weaknesses outside the trade. Even if you think that that is truely beneficial there are plenty of outsiders, if you will, who are more than happy to discover and publish security exloits. No valid reason for us to do it as well.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Putyourspamhere) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m16.aol.com:

My observation (and I confess I haven't read every last post on alt.locksmithing over the last few years) was that some of the really excited discussion seems to be about information shared only within the trade. Meaning that outsiders wouldn't know about it so much if it wasn't made into such a hot topic here. Aside from a few really rare exceptions, most non-locksmiths just don't have access to TNL and LL, for instance, and therefore have no knowledge of what's in such trade journals until people explore it in depth here.

Aside from a brief comment about TNL a year or two ago, I never even see the journals mentioned on LockSports. (And I don't know of any other hobby- related lock forums, so it seems like a very representative sample.)

Reply to
Father Bob

Non professionals are not likely to get a lot of compromising information directly from individuals in the trade. This doesn't mean that a lot of information is not available to someone willing to do research and invest some time and in some cases money. Virtually all locksmithing related information can be obtained via some combination of those things. This is well known. Very little is truely secret from someone of reasonable intelligence willing to invest in learning. It is also well known that those with a legitimate interest will not mind investing time and money to learn rather than simply asking for all to be told. Frankly I'm always amazed when someone comes here asking for a masterlock combo by serial for free. The security implications not-withstanding why on earth would we want to simply give away information we have had to pay for?

This is likely because most of the material in the professional journals is unrelated to lockpicking.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Actually, I've subscribed to that list on and off over the last few months. Some of the hobbyists are doing some relatively serious security analysis, in fact, and the Europeans (especially the German and Dutch groups) may actually be ahead of the industry with regard to finding innovative new attacks.

Reply to
Matt Blaze