Lock picking forums

Is it generally considered that lock picking forums, like

where they teach people to pick locks, are a good idea, or not? Such forums highlight security weaknesses, which is a good idea, but then they could be claimed to pass on this information (without meaning to) to criminals.

Overall do they do more good than harm? I think so, but would be interested in other reactions.

Reply to
semireal

Bad Idea. There are better ways to educate people about weak points that don't involve making them still weaker.

Have you read the FAQ for this newsgroup?

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Putting it as a platitude: "He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of reason."

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Well, I did read the FAQ for this group, and I personally find this one in regards to lock picking a hard call. How often is lock picking in fact used in crime, when destructive methods are so often much faster?

Reply to
trakgalvis

Which one of you is the sock puppet, you or "semireal"? You "both" post through Google from the same IP using a Mac.

Reply to
clifto

Ottawa Canada

Real life burglars seldom pick a lock. They prrefer to throw a rock through a back window. the average burglar is looking for the quickest way in and out of the premises.

Brian

"trakgalvis" ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) writes:

Reply to
Brian K.Lingard

The name should have been "trakgalvis" but "semireal" was taken from my email address, and then corrected, but I could not see how to correct the first post. If you can tell me I will correct that.

Reply to
trakgalvis

That is what I believe. ID thieft might be different though, as you might want to get in and out without being noticed.

Reply to
trakgalvis

Unless he has two of 'em and only needs one of 'em.

Reply to
Radrunner

Who cares? Don't you have better uses of your time?

Bob

Reply to
Bob B.