bypassing locks without picking

any info on best way to bypass locks i work for company as a carpenter and sometimes have to change locks on properties usualy when a tenant has left and took all the keys tia paul

Reply to
paul swift

best way is to call a locksmith. Or use your handy black & Decker Rotary Pick.

Jack Allied Lock & Security Atlanta, GA

Reply to
Jack

Cheapest way is to have the landowner require copies of keys for locks on outer doors.

Failing that, the best way for YOU would be to bust down the door and then repair the jamb. You are a carpenter, after all :-)

Picking locks is a hit or miss proposition. You'll find other openings to the house much easier to breach. Most locks can be changed without bypassing them once you are on teh unlocked side of the door.

Daniel.

Reply to
dbs__usenet

And we know that locksmiths have NEVER driven a nail ;-)

Reply to
Dave Wallen

If there's a suitable (and cheap) window, just break it and go in that way. Flat, rectangular glass doesn't cost much, and it'll save a good bit of time.

Reply to
kd5nrh

Well, if he's the type of carpenter that does the apartments my girlfriend lives in, it'll take five tries at replacing the jamb before the door closes right.

I've got a lovely cut on my finger right now thanks to their Weiser rough-edged latch plate, which they didn't bother to recess properly. (Nice recess cut, but it was about 1/8" too short for the plate, which doesn't help a damned thing) Took me all of about three minutes (counting the time to get out the toolbox) to knock down the rough edge, cut the recess right, and reinstall everything, replacing the screws with some that actually bit while I was at it, but it was apparently too complex and time consuming for the maintenance guys who have worked on that lock for various reasons.

Reply to
kd5nrh

Not in Germany...usually there is no way to remove a euro profile cylinder without unlocking it or destroying something.

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

A euro cylindrer keyed both sides is often a no-no in USA as it would impede fire egress.

Reply to
Peter

But we also know that many of them will screw up. :-)

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

change locks on

check out the FAQ

asking defeating instructions on this open forum.

Reply to
"Key

There's a lot more to carpentry than driving a nail, which in and of itself it considerably easier than trying to pick most locks.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

Speaking only for myself, my policy is that I don't teach picking techniques unless I've personally known the person for two years.

You can find many forums on the web, but that's out of my control.

When I was new at locksmithing, I was completely fascinated by picking. Now, after 20+ years in the trade, it's an important part of the job, but not totally fascinating. There is so much more to the job.

The reasons I don't teach picking are several.

1) There is no way to know who is the person asking. Most people asking (or lurking and reading the posts) are decent people, but a few are not. So, I've decided simply not to say anything to anyone.

2) Picking locks is a "trade secret" like many other trades which have their techniques and systems.

3) A very small part of the security of locks is that so few people know how to pick them. So, by teaching lock picking, I make all locks less secure for the world. Not what I want to do.

4) Purely selfishly, I learned lock picking the hard way, with lots of practice, and you can do the same.

I wish you well. Hope this doesn't sound unkind, but the world isn't a nice place sometimes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is funny. Some of us pick locks as a hobby. Some to try and save a buck. Here's a case where you can call a locksmith and easily pass the cost on to your company -- and it would probably save you time as well.

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

Sure but he figures if he does it himself he will charge for it and pocket

100%. Of course if he lacks the expertise it may be more trouble than it's worth.
Reply to
Putyourspamhere

to try and save a

easily pass the cost

as well.

for it and pocket

trouble than it's

heard that ! learned a long time ago, sometimes its best to call a professional.

g'day all

Reply to
"Key

The faq says that questions concerning how to pick a lock are considered a "no no" by some users. At the same time, it also says that it is a point in dispute. Technically, the FAQ does not cover this. The individual did not ask about picking, he specificially asked about non-picking bypass techniques. Any technique can be adapted for burglarly, but some more than others.

For instance, very few residential burglaries are carried out by drilling the cylinder. I've heard of people drilling narrow style aluminum doors and I've seen one old wooden door where a burglar put a hole through thin wood to release and old mortise setup, but this is pretty rare. The problem, is that I don't think there is a one size fits all solution. Many cylinders can be easily removed, but there are a few where that trick wouldn't work. Drilling a cylinder isn't particularly difficult, but you need to know your basic models. For one, knowing whether you got a decent cylinder in front of you or a Home Depot $5.00 special will go along way in knowing what you can do. Many of those locks you can literally melt with a bic lighter.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Friedman

~ NO SPAM ~ Reply on the Group Ya Know Me Ya Know My Email ~ NO SPAM ~

****************************

are considered a

that it is a point in

individual did not

non-picking bypass

but some more than

bypass techniques are still bypass techniques. key word being "bypass"..

Reply to
"Key

-snip- knowing whether you got a decent cylinder in front

There are few locks you can "literally melt with a bic lighter" and all that you can have plastic plugs. Even with them you would be as likely to jam everything up as get it open.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere