Hamilton GSA w/X08 lockout

I'm nearly at wit's end with this, and hopefully I'll have it open before anyone even responds as I'm headed back out this morning.

It's a Hamilton 4dr GSA red label with a matrix hardplate and an X08. The X08 failed to open at "OP" so naturally I diagnosed a bad stepper motor. Once I got inside, the little gear I grab onto appeared to be broken (I haven't a boroscope handy to look inside). Thinking I might be wrong, I drilled for the relocker - and it appears to be intact and un-fired. I don't want to punch the bolt because I think that there's about a 75% chance of irrecoverable lockout if I attempt it.

Today's angle of attack will be to drill through the relocker lever foot and then through that hole try to push the slide. With the slide pushed, (I'm hoping) - I can either catch the motor gears with the spindle, or lift the bolt manually. My fingers are crossed X

Has anyone here had a similar catastrophic failure with one of these locks?? Anyone have insight or other ideas?? I've drilled several in the past, including X07's and been successful. I'm 110% certain my force open hole came out on target - so I didn't cause the problem by hitting the gear by accident.

Reply to
Dan & Nina McNeil

ask on Clearstar...??? or look through the past articles there.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

a possible reason you are having problems is the gear rack that goes from the bolt to the drive cam does break and proves to be a very difficult opening, because it is no longer attached to the bolt you not only have to move it out of the way you also have to manually probe the bolt , be careful the rack does not go cockeyed or you will be there for a month of sundays. you really need a scope to finish this type of opening, good luck and let us know how it turns out

Reply to
todd

Have you tried the DoD hotline?..

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

There's other approved methods that don't involve the lock.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Terrigno

the methods that dont involve the lock are butcher methods for untrained maintenance men, not for professional safe men. Unless you happen to stock doors. a professional will hit the lock repair the door and be done with the job and the customer can use his safe immediately and not have to find a place for the contents while a door is shipped in.

Reply to
todd

They all mandate replacement of the drawer head which adds repair time and cost. If at all possible the lock is the way to go.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

I was referring to his use of the term Irevocable Lockout. I should have quoted it.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Terrigno

put your., could you quote me the gsa reg that says all openings require drawer head replacement? when i took the x09 cert. class that wasnt the case so I guess i need to update my files.

Reply to
todd

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

No I can't because AFAIK it doesn't exist. However AFAIK all methods not involving a direct attack on the lock itself require the drawer head to be replaced and leave same in unrepairable condition, which is what I said. If you know of a non-lock oriented bypass which doesn't, please elaborate.

My post you refer to was:

" Subject: Re: Hamilton GSA w/X08 lockout From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Putyourspamhere) Date: 10/20/2003 11:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time Message-id: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m03.aol.com>

They all mandate replacement of the drawer head which adds repair time and cost. If at all possible the lock is the way to go.

"

The word "they" in the above referring to "There's other approved methods that don't involve the lock." Perhaps you took "they all" to mean all openings including those which target the lock?

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

There is language in the standard and associatred DoD pubs that says to the effect "drawerhead replacement is the only authorized repair" for entry techniques that involve cutting the bolts. Not exactly a reg per se but defintiely is there as guidance. Unfortunately publishing the link would disclose information that runs counter to this groups charter. I guess the people who need to to know this information have it already or can get it through the DoD hotline.

Reply to
Jim Gaynor