Re: sidewalk chalenge...

Speaking only for myself, my policy is that I don't teach picking techniques unless I've personally known the person for two years.

You can find many forums on the web, but that's out of my control.

When I was new at locksmithing, I was completely fascinated by picking. Now, after 20+ years in the trade, it's an important part of the job, but not totally fascinating. There is so much more to the job.

The reasons I don't teach picking are several.

1) There is no way to know who is the person asking. Most people asking (or lurking and reading the posts) are decent people, but a few are not. So, I've decided simply not to say anything to anyone.

2) Picking locks is a "trade secret" like many other trades which have their techniques and systems.

3) A very small part of the security of locks is that so few people know how to pick them. So, by teaching lock picking, I make all locks less secure for the world. Not what I want to do.

4) Purely selfishly, I learned lock picking the hard way, with lots of practice, and you can do the same.

I wish you well. Hope this doesn't sound unkind, but the world isn't a nice place sometimes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ok, no flames.... old safe.... how many numbers on the dial...probably 100

turn the dial 5 times 1 direction, and STOP ON 50

turn the OPPOSITE direction... and as you get near 50, go slow and see if you feel it get a little bump... keep going 4 times... how many bumps? 3? or 4? if 3, there are 100 *100* 80 (or 100) depends on the lock, possibilities... have fun... if 4, then add another 100 as a multiplier...

if there is LESS than 100 numbers, then use that number instead of the 100 above...

--Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--

you just need to pick numbers and try them. for obvious reasons, opening instructions are not given on this open forum by the professionals here. see the FAQ

is a lot to learn about safes before you could learn how to manipulate the combo.

good luck

Reply to
"Keyman

Well they open it once a day, so you need to be in position with a telephoto lens taking video. You could also enlist an accomplice to try and peek on one side when he opens it and then you might be able to get a clear shot as the shoe repairman twists to shield the dial from your accomplice.

Of course once you pay for the camera equipment and split the take with your accomplice, you might not get enough for your trouble but you asked.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Only thing I've learned in the last couple of days is that if it is a MasterLock go to

Also, if it works I expect a FAIR cut of the loot. Just email me and I will tell you where to send it. I mean it!

Reply to
Daryl Helwig

y.com!pd2nf1so.cg.shawcable.net!residential.shaw.ca!sn-xit-03!sn-xit-01!sn

-post-01!supernews.com!corp.supernews.com!not-for-mail

If he's willing to go to the trouble for a few hundred bucks and the safe is actually outside in view when they open it (if it's not a drop safe) you might have given him a viable idea. He could always rent the camera equipment or borrow it. For that matter use high power binocs or a spotting scope.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Oh yeah keep in mind you will need to know the proper dialing procedure for the lock in question no matter how you proceed or you will get nowhere fast.

Most common is:

Left 4 turns to first number

Right 3 turns to 2nd number

Left 2 turns to 3rd number

Right to open (this may vary with lock and safe design)

(Count 1 turn every time the number in question aligns with the opening index mark)

Next most common is the above procedure reversed i.e. R L R L to open.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere