unican codes

Does anyone out there have the same problem as me in that every time I see a Unican I'm tempted to see if the installer has left it set as the manufacturers code?

Reply to
Ron Ireland

LOL.... bad bad....

I had a safe, installed in a wall of a business, was an after hours drop for bill payments... they called one day, was hard to open.....

so, get there, whats the combo...?? left 4 times to 50, right to open...had NOT been changed since installed 8 eyars before...

--Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--

Only if no one's looking.

Do you also (like me) feel compelled to tighten up a loose lockset if you're (for instance) waiting in the doctor's examination room?

And... Do you point at the TV and say things like, "Hey! There's no strike for that deadbolt!."?

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Yeah, and sometimes I even untwist telephone cords. You'd think we were all Felix Unger (remember him from The Odd Couple?)

I heard about a young fellow in Japan. Now they have some interesting people. This guy got hired by Honda, and his job was to straighten the wiper blades on the cars as they went by. On the walk home, he stragightened every wiper blade he passed.

Oh, man, and how many deadlatch triggers I've seen broken off of Kwikset locks, most often on self closing kitchen doors. And the upside down cylinders.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

Well, I've been checking VIN's in the parking lot at random-Does that count???(lol)

Reply to
Ralph Greenwood

Worse here... Wife's constinly saying be quiet".. I say while watching tv: "Hey no tension wrench!" or oh horse crap he didn't even turn the blasted cylinder... lol

Reply to
"RC" da "PCDJ

Purely coincidentally I got a call to the local Police office today, they wanted the code on their unican changed, they were surprised when I let myself in to the department concerned without being told the code....

Reply to
Ron Ireland

holds it

must have

saw a show where a guy sticks a pick-gun into a lock and twist it like it were a key. hmmm?

Reply to
"Keyman

I figured as much. I have only seen a semi-realistic depictation once or twice, and I don't remember what that was on. It may have been the old mission impossible TV series.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

I had a Weslock... stuck the wavey pick in... it was unlocked...

33343 for the cuts...

--Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--

Many years ago, the Locksmith Ledger or was it the National Locksmith printed a short humorous story about a locksmith who went to a business to change the combination of a Unican. Seems that too many people had the combination to the computer room. The locksmith finished changing the combination, turned in the bill, and gave the new combination to the person in charge. As he was leaving to return to his shop, he heard on the P.A. "Attention employees. The combination on the lock to the computer room has been changed. The new combination is....". I'm sure he was laughing the rest of the day.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Arkawy

We do the CC's on one of the local USPS branch offices here & they think their personal code for the rental box door (Can we say factory setting) was put in by their in house for their security.

When we change out chambers, they want "THEIR" code set back in!

Go figgure?

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

Reply to
Wayne's Locks

I've heard of lock guys who buy them zero bitted, and then add master pins to make the change keys. DUM.....

I spent couple days in a hotel one time, the master key was 11221, I think it was. I brought a set of depth keys along with me the next time, and sure enough the 2 depth key worked nicely.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon