Picking

Y'know, I really try to downplay lock picking when I'm talking to new locksmiths -- or folks considering the trade.

But.....

I've noticed in the last couple days that I've used my lock picks on most of the jobs. Wonder what's with that? My guess is that since the economy has been poor, not many people are upgrading locks. Or installing deadbolts.

But folks still get locked out now and again. And so about the only calls I get are lockouts.

What's the experience out there? Anyone else doing lots of lock picking?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

did more houses in the last 2 weeks, than I normally do in 2 MONTHS but, cars? they dont have the money, so wait on the spouse and the other key.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Ya get runs of things I've always found, but I would use my picks 2-3 times a day, whether for lockouts or for the removal of cylinders ect ect. My main jobs are re-keys, and replacing broken security screen locks and other types of locksets, followed by removal of broken off keys, then Installation of deadbolts, then comes all forms of lockouts. I might only do

2 car lockouts 'one' month, then 15 the next. Doesn't sound like much compared to what some of you guys seem to do per month, maybe folks in Oz are more careful re-locking themselves out, or maybe they like to try to break into their own cars. Had to open a 2 year old Corolla the other week. The guy had spent 3 hours trying to open the car using coat hanger wire, and finished up getting the sh*ts with it, and got stuck into the edge of the door with a crow bar. He finally called us. He would have done at least $1500 worth of damage to his nice car, just to try and save $50 for a Locky.
Reply to
Steve Paris

Well Im in Australia, and I would use my picks about 5 times a day, ranging from lockouts to just practicing, or opening a cylinder to key up. I don't get alot of auto lockouts during business hours due to Road side assistance, which seems to take them all.

Reply to
AustralianLocksmith

times a day,

cylinder to key

hours due to

is there a reason why you don't sign up with roadside assistance ? here in the states, we get a good supliment to our income providing service.

just wondering

Reply to
Key

I do the occasional job for the RACQ. They have their own fully qualified mechanics that can open every type and model of vehicle. We get the 'lost keys' jobs, usually at midnight, or some other inconvenient time or place. But, they pay what ever you want to charge, and pay within 10 working days, no worries. Trouble is that these organizations have seen a big decline in members over the past 10 years, so only about 10% of motorists still belong, due to car manufactures 'extended 5 & 6 year warrantees and factory road side assist etc.

Reply to
Steve Paris

income

own fully qualified

We get the 'lost

inconvenient time or place.

10 working days,

a big decline in

motorists still belong,

and factory road

The ones that do Factory Roadsides were the ones I was talking about. They are the best... providing

AAA Motor Club had handled GM's roadside here in the states but they have lost the contract because of poor assistance to GM customers. We used to contract to AAA back in the early 80's. Not for long though. They were just plain too cheap. Cross-Country Motor Club (one of our main clubs) will be doing GM's roadside effective in August.

g'day down under

Reply to
Key

gee do I feel SORRY that AAA lost that? NAA... the normal time here in the winter could be as much as 6-8 HOURS for them to show.. due to being 'frugal' with their pay rates.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I did get a letter from the auto club some years ago. They offered me $9 and some change per car unlocking, day rate, and about $11 night rate. I couldn't imagine keeping tires on my van at that kind of rates.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Couple of the auto manufacturers in the States have roadside assistance. Very often when they call me for a lost key situation, they have the code numbers for the key. Very helpful.

I don't do much car key work, so I don't have all the latest in codes and key blanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And what were the rates? I'm not sure I can translate from AU dollars to US, but what were they offering?

In the US, the federal minimum wage is about 6 dollars an hour. We are paying about $2.15 per galon of gasoline, and about $3 per galon of milk at the store. Been awhile since I bought a full galon. A chesse burger at McDonalds is about $.99 or so.

And so the AAA rates of $9 day and $11 night were really not enough to pay for fuel and tires and such.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

AU dollars to US,

back then it was $20.00 US per lockout and was the same 24 hours per day. one had to spend about 30 minutes on the phone to close out the call when finished. most of that 30 was waiting on hold. also don't know the translation to AU dollars.

---snip---

Reply to
Key

Just a lot of picking trailer hitch receiver locks on boat trailers. It happens every summer since the ocean is 45 minutes and everyone in southern California seems to be close to a lake. I'm also selling a lot of floats for key rings. I'd say the two are related.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

Stormin,

Here is an easy to use currency converter.

I have it bookmarked and use it quite a bit.

Leon Rowell

Storm> And what were the rates? I'm not sure I can translate from AU dollars to US,

Reply to
Leon Rowell

was 15 here to take a key to the car, key INCLUDED, 24/7 for anything within 25 miles...

"CLICK"

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

no but "Key has been doing alot of nose picking! HOOOO HOOY!

Reply to
Joe Somebody