How important is picking locks in locksmithing?

I'm just now getting into locksmithing, and like many people I started out trying to pick locks.

But for the life of me, I just can't get a handle on it.

So my main question to the experienced locksmiths out there: How important is lockpicking to your business? Do you use it all the time?

Thanks.

Reply to
Goofball

Actually, for all its attention, it's a very small part of locksmithing. It's a skill you'll want to keep working on but 98% of the time there's a way around it. Mike Thomas Lock & Key For an email list discussion of locksmith related marketing concepts join us:

MThomas859

In most cases it will save the customer a bit of money over drilling and replacing the lock, assuming that's the only way in. As far as time, it frequently takes as long or longer than drilling. Drillling a lock when there's no other way in is obviously wasteful if the customers keys are laying on the kitchen table so it's a skill you will want to practice up on. Just starting out if you are in business for yourself you may not have the needed parts on hand to replace a drilled cylinder either, so while picking is a small part of the overall job there are quite a few times when proficiency will make your life alot easier.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

people I started

there: How

very important

yes

g'day

Reply to
"Key

seldom.... IMO, IMPRESSIONING is far more useful... especially for certain brands of cars.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

It is not very important for the normal daily work, but it can be very helpful in some special situations.

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

The only time it's important is when you do lock outs. Especially the late nite calls you'll get a lot of when first starting out working for others.

I still can't pick a lock worth a hoot. I'm glad my impressioning skills are getting better with time because my picking sure isn't. Impressioning is much more important than picking.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

Picking is a necessary skill, but it is not one you use daily. Same with all aspects of locksmithing. Impressioning is done more frequently, especially if you do cars. Sight reading wafers also appears to be a key skill (no pun intended).

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

there: How

it all the time?

Especially the late

working for others.

most of the time, I will pick instead of shimming. also, will pick a cam lock to read the waffers.

Reply to
"Key

I agree it is important at times. But "large part" seems an overstatement to me. How many hours/week do you and the people in your shop spend picking locks. My guess is that the average is 1-2 hours/wk at most. I'd be startled if it approached 10 hr/wk, and incredulous at a statement that the average was 20 hr/wk.

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

Yep. You can always take the long way around anything. It is a small part. A person without a lot of picking skills can still be a good locksmith. Absolutely life will be easier when the skill is mastered, and there are times when it will be a must, BUT, it is still a very small part. IMO. Most of us don't spend much of our work in picking. OTOH, that statement shouldn't minimize it as one of many skills that will be used or needed at times. It is a skill he should continue to work on. (I think I said that)

Mike Thomas Lock & Key For an email list discussion of locksmith related marketing concepts join us:

MThomas859

Picking is something I find myself doing on just about a daily basis. Lockouts are not the only time this skill will come in handy. Some locks come apart easily if the keyway is rotated, if the key is missing it can save time to pick the lock rather than take it apart from the back (if you are a good picker.)

That being said I know a very good locksmith who is not very skilled at picking locks ("two minutes of raking then go to the drill" is his motto) His lack of picking skill has not held him back.

In my opinion basic picking skills are important to locksmithing, however if your not the worlds greatest picker you can still do just fine.

Impressioning is a MUCH more important skill to learn. In fact some people in the industry will judge your abilities as a locksmith based solely on your impressioning skills.

Majestic

Reply to
MAJESTIC22

Actually, more and more important.

Used to be some years ago I did a lot of installing deadbolts, and replacing house hold locks. Changing tumblers when people moved.

However, the home centers change tumblers, and sell locks. Money is getting tight, and people are doing their own lock changing.

But, they still know that locksmiths can pick locks, and so the calls are tending towards lockouts.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Definitely important. Now that the economy is way tragic, people call locksmiths for things that they can't do themselves (after trying many times). So, picking locks is growing more and more important.

As it happens, most of the times I use picking, I coulda used impressioning, codes, wafer reading, etc.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn