Is Locksmithing dead?

The auto manufacturers are constantly on the move and often require expensive programming machines to generate keys.

A vent Window cost about $100.00 to replace these days, so why pay a locksmith $150-$200 for a service call to open a locked car with keys inside? That doesn't count all the damage the average Locksmith butcher will cause to linkage, airbag, electronics installed in the door. I saw one clown trying to use a slim jim on a late model BMW and the fool didn't even realize the doors would re-lock themselves after a foiled attempt at opening. It was quite humerous.

"Duhhh,,,why these @#$%^&*( doors keep locking themselves is beyond me!!!"

So was breathing, but that is another story.

Then we have Home Depot and yet I know I can't get the same quality/grade of lockset at Depot that I can from a Locksmith. But who really cares? One smashed window and the quality of lockset is a moot point.

Seems to me that locksmithing is a dead career, although Foley Belsaw won't admit it. The amount of idiots out in the field each day that call themselves locksmiths is staggering.

I would rather take my chances with a DIY kit form Depot than have a butcher destroy a $900 oak door.

FWIW I unloaded a whole pile of crap that my 86 yo dad had purchased from Belsaw and other companies. They conned him into thinking he would be a great locksmith.

Sold it to some idiot named Bradley who was a real live one. He was interested in running his business using Linux which I have never heard of.

I think the real money to be made in locksmithing is in the selling of tools/supplies and manuals to idiots who want to run their own businesses as locksmiths.

Now that is where the real cash is!!

GK

Reply to
George Karlsson

Troll.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Locksmithing is pretty much dead these days. While there are still smiths who will spend 4 days rebuilding a lockset worth $1.50, those days are fading fast.

The internet has really sunk locksmithing for good. In a couple of clicks on Google, any idiot can pick a lock, look up Master Lock combos and discover that most Locksmiths these days are brain dead. The rotory pick is their tool of choice.

My advice is to get into the supplier end of the business because that is where the real money is. Selling tools and supplies to newbie smiths is worth a fortune in gold!!

There is no money to be made in locksmithing these days and the US Center For Occupational Studies will prove that to you should you doubt.

Reply to
Serge Minskoff

"George Karlsson" snipped-for-privacy@no.one trolled in message

---snip the troll---

plonk !

Reply to
Key

"Serge Minskoff" snipped-for-privacy@mmm.org trolled in message

---snip the troll---

plonk !

Reply to
Key

(snip)

Considering how you've turned out, he's apparently not that great at fatherhood either.

He must be so proud.

PLONK!

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

*plonk*
Reply to
chrisv

Crossposting it back to COLA is what the troll wants you to do.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

to do.

then, I guess he got his wish that time :-)

Reply to
Key