medeco problem

I'm with a company that takes care of a few apartment buildings. We recently had a problem with a toilet that started leaking and caused the ceiling to fall in the apartment below. The tenant with the leak was unreachable for more than 24 hours so we had to break in. The door had a medeco cylinder with a security plate over it.

Not seeing that it was a medeco, we tried to drill out the pins. After breaking a few drill bits we finally resorted to a crowbar, which pulled the strike out of the frame.

A locksmith who came later to replace the lock, said that he could have gotten in without destroying the lock or frame. He wouldn't tell us how to do it.

Anyone know a way?

Reply to
*selah*

if it was a medeco bodyguard cylinder guard, it would be easier to go through a window =) if it was a regular cylinder guard (one of those cheap $3 units) not too hard. The Bodyguard usually takes me a good 40 mins to get into if it's installed correctly. But those can be the most annoying 40 mins of any locksmiths year

Reply to
Mzone719

Yes, I do know how. But there's no way I'm going to teach lock defeating on an open forum. Might not even on a message board that requires sign in.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m20.aol.com>, Mzone719 snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes

Never seen one of those, just what I need, thanks.

I had considered getting a plate made for the same purpose, but didn't want to leave a large (vulnerable) hole in the middle to give clearance for the shoulders of the key or modify the key to compensate for the plate thickness. Is the rotating slot in this one large enough for the shoulders of the key to pass through & sit flush to the cylinder for unlocking?

Also, any idea on a guide price for this, not a lot showing on the web.

Reply to
fred

These entry methods are not discussed on an open forum, sorry.

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

Will people on this newsgroup give information about picking locks, etc.? Yes and No. There is a serious debate, based on serious principles. Most experienced people here are quite willing to discuss the basics of lock construction and operation. Few (if any) are willing to give specific answers regarding opening a particular lock or safe - without knowing the asker or having other evidence that the inquiry is legitimate.

g'day

Reply to
Key

I would be glad to supply information to verify that we are legitimate.

Reply to
*selah*

I'm sure this product is shown on Medeco's website. The rotating disk would of course allow the cut key to fit into the cylinder completely to allow you to lock and unlock the unit. We sell the boyguard with cylinder for $100. the steelguard lock itself we sell for $55 (without cylinder). The adapter plate to tie the two units together goes for another $10 or so. If you can't find one email me and i'll try to help you out.

good luck

Reply to
Mzone719

Yes. The way to deal with Medeco is to gain access to the boltwork behind the lock through the keyway and throw it independent of the lock plug. The tool is just a straight wire with a curved tip. Go to:

and scroll down about 1/3 of the page to the adams right tool to see a picture.

This same company also sells a complete bypass kit for the Medeco but it is overpriced.

Im gonna do a detailed piece on it and post it here including detailed description of how to make your own tools I just havent gotten around to it yet. Anyway in short as you can see commercial tools are sold for this purpose. Get a supply catalog by writing to the supplier on locksmith letterhead because afterall only secret squirrel locksmiths have locksmith letterhead LMAO. The problem is that there is a security shutter which is SUPPOSED to be installed to prevent your doing this. I say SUPPOSED to be because many secret squirrels are lazy and dont install the damn thing. If the shutter is installed then it must be drilled. It is hardened so you need to use a carbide bit like you use for safe drilling. A masonry bit will do. To drill it use a Z shaped tool except with the vertical part of the Z at

90 degrees to the horizonal parts not diaganol like the Z I just typed to insert into the keyway and push the pins up out of the way. Now while holding the pins up and out of the way insert the carbide bit into the keyway and drill through the shutter at the back of the keyway Medeco keyways are large and give plenty of access. When drilling with a carbide bit you want to use high speed. Like I said this has just been a brief description since Im in a f****ng hurry right now. If you have the old lock off the door study the way its designed and you can see what Im talking about and can probably bend up a tool to do what you need out of piano wire or other straight stock.
Reply to
somesmartass

Yes. A few of them do. Most of them dont. None of them will tell you unless you know the secret f****ng handshake. I will though. The way to deal with Medeco is to gain access to the boltwork behind the lock through the keyway and throw it independent of the lock plug. The tool is just a straight wire with a curved tip. Go to:

[...]

In article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m21.aol.com>, Mzone719 snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes

I'm in the UK and so availability of Medeco products is between patchy and non existent. There are some very strong products over here that IMHO are let down by weak cylinders & this sort of thing counters just about all of the attacks I can imagine. I will need to check compatibility with my kind of cylinder or may have something similar made up locally.

Just wanted a guide price before I look at maybe importing one.

Thanks,

Reply to
fred

[...]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***

Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored

Somesmartass

They dont care. You arent a secret squirrel locksmith. It is all a deep dark trade secret or so they think.

Reply to
somesmartass

They dont care. You arent a secret squirrel locksmith. It is all a deep dark trade secret or so they think.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***

Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored

Somesmartass

They dont care. You arent a secret squirrel locksmith. It is all a deep dark trade secret or so they think.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***

Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored

Somesmartass

picking

quite

regarding

asker

are

then someone here will probably help you in private email. I personally don't help with defeating instructions. besides, we don't do very much Medeco work and there are more folks here that do....

g'day

Reply to
Key

Reply to