Consumer lockpicking device any good?

I am so tired of either having to pay somebody to unlock my house or car when I lose/forget keys inside or having to destroy a window. I have seen these devices that say they can open any lock, and they cost about $20 (at least the one with a price I can remember). Do they work or are they just a scam?

Reply to
Dailli

Any add which claims the device advertised can open "any lock" is a scam. Virtually all picking devices require some skill on the part of the operator.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

This is what I don't get. People will go to all the trouble and expense of buying lock picking tools that they don't even at time of purchase anyway know how to use. Instead they could just spend less than ten bucks to have all the relevant keys duplicated. Hell spend about $10.00 - 20.00 depending just how many keys you happen to have and you could have them duped TWICE that way when you lose the dupes you still have dupes.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

I love it when I open a car and the customer says, "Wow! Where can I get one of those?"

I tell them that for three bucks, I can sell them one that works even faster than the one I just used. :)

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Yep. The "perfect" pick is the key which fits that lock. Carry a spare, or leave one with a friend.

Note that it is *guaranteed* that even if you have lockpicks, when you lock yourself out they will be on the wrong side of the door. Most locksmiths have demonstrated that effect once or twice...

If you're trying to manufacture an excuse for owning picks, this really isn't it.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

Think of it this way, if they really worked as claimed, ordinary locks and keys would effectively become useless and people will start using locks that are more pick resistant which these things will not readily open (if at all). Insurance companies would also lean on automobile manufacturers to fit superior locks (they were upgraded from simple 5 or 6 wafer locks some years ago).

If it sounds too good to be true then ......

Reply to
Peter

What a riot reading these responses! Let's read between the lines of these cumulative messages.

The responders are likely locksmiths or make some living off of a locksmith-related business. Now they don't want anyone knowing that their business is largely a scam--that the average person can do most "locksmith" services themselves. So their answers to my question, "Do these lockpick devices work?":

1) Just carry extra keys [this has nothing to do with my question]

2) The device will be on the other side of the lock when you need it [again, not my question and won't the extra keys be on the wrong side of the lock when you need them, too?]

3) They take skill to work [OK, I can work a little bit to learn how to use them; also, this is as arrogant as a lawyer saying that an average person can't know the law just by reading the laws themselves]

Not one person said they don't work. So if you're smart enough to read between the lines, you'll see that these devices do work (albeit with a little bit of skill that comes with practice) and the scammers, who make their living from other people's lack of knowledge, don't want their secrets getting out!

Thanks for the advice! I'll be ordering my picking device today!

Reply to
Dailli

Ok --

Here is the straight dope.

It is basically an electric toothbrush with a pick attached to the end. On some locks it will work, on others it will not. It will not however, "open all locks" as is described in the advertising literature. It is however advertised mostly through spam. That should say a lot about it in and of itself.

-- Absinthe

Reply to
Absinthe

the lines of these

off of a

knowing that their

most "locksmith"

these lockpick

how wrong you are !

question]

it is you're most "logical" answer

you need it [again,

side of the lock

still "logical"

learn how to use

you will have to work more than a "little bit" because their lock pick devices only works on a very small percentage of the locks.

average person

whats arrogant is that you are relating this to that example....

that person is 100% correct.

(albeit with a

doesn't say that at all. you need to try and stop reading between the lines. you're not that good at it.

want their secrets

how wrong you are again. please try and get a clue.

today!

when you get it and see that its a waste of good $$$'s. you be sure and come back and tell us how disapointed you were that you didn't listen to advice from folks that "do" know what their talking about.

Reply to
"Keyman

cheaper...

not necessarily, I had a copy of a key faxed to me, from 900 miles once, it was not on the 'other side of the lock', but 3 states away...

then you DO work on your own car? all the mechanical problems? just as an example....

sure... from an hour to 40 hours, and you got a good start... which week do you want to take off and practice?

come to my state, be SURE to FLY IN... if the feds dont bust you for illegal stuff onboard the plane, the locals WILL... something about burglary tools.... --Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--

It's amazing on TV how they just stick the pick by itself in the lock and the door opens w/o the plug even turning. I wish I was as good at it as those actors are.

And Dailli, something to consider if you buy this thing and it works well on your locks for you (highly unlikely) then alas it will work just as well on your locks for anyone else who mail orders it. Time for new (and better) locks, or spool pin the existing ones. Course then it won't work anymore :(.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Like P.T. Barnum said, there's one born every minute. I hope this guy is a troll and not really as dumb as he appears. In his first post he said something about how tired he's getting of "always" having to pay for someone to unlock his car or home. I guess there are really idiots that can't learn after once or twice. Always? Come on! Those are the kind that would be suckered by the come on of a "Miricle Pick". Wonder how he'll carry it in his wallet so he'll have it when he needs it. A spare key wouldn't leave near the bulge. This guy is either a troll or a certifable idiot!

Reply to
MThomas859

I hate to ask how you know what a cat getting it's legs pulled off sounds like. :-)

Reply to
Tom Collins

Which is usually a red flag that the poster is actually a would-be thief trying to find a way to justify his/her interest. Frankly I'd be more impressed with someone who just admitted they were curious and asked the question.

Not that this would have changed the advice. The right tool for the job is still a spare key. If you're worried about it being on the wrong side of the door, trade spare keys with a trusted friend or find some other way to cache 'em where you can get to them at need but nobody else can. (For some of us, our office is a sufficiently secure location; for others it isn't...)

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

Fine, you were warned, there is one born every minute.

I am no professional locksmith, but understand enough about lockpicking (which I am too ham fisted for) to make a reasonable comment about the usefulness of such devices.

I do not know what your employment is, but you, as an employee or student are putting yourself at grave risk if it is known that you can readily pick locks in your workplace or institution. If something goes haywire, then suspicion can point in your direction very quickly. If you do choose to buy such a device do NOT take it to work, or to your university etc. The temptation to use it can be overwhelming (eg to save the bother of fetching a key or having to wait to have a room opened).

Reply to
Peter

Please be sure to post again and tell us of the various success you've had with picking locks. Be sure to try at least three or four brands of padlock, auto door lock, locking door knob, office furniture, file cabinet, bike chain lock, and locking deadbolt. Let us know, in detail, which ones you were able to pick. I'm seriously curious. I'd also like to know what brand of tool you got, and if it's electric or hand operated. This is an incredible chance for locksmiths to learn from a real consumer such as yourself.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Storming Mormon wrote: [snip pontificating]

Hmm.. I wonder, what would that sound like? and why in hell would you pull the legs off of a cat any way?

Phil.

Reply to
cashcroft

Reply to
cashcroft

If you had given a real email address, I would have given you useful information earlier. However, as I am in a generous mood, I would suggest that you spend your $20 on a conventional pickset rather than one of the glorified snake rakes aimed at amateurs. Certainly the devices in question work occasionally, but not nearly as well as the cheapest conventional pickset. $20 would buy a pretty decent beginner pick set from SouthOrd.

Bob

Reply to
bob555

What if it is a hair dryer?