Electric door strikes ?

I currently install data and telephone systems, I am going to branch out into access control and hear that installing door strikes is pretty easy to screw up.

Any way to get up to speed on there installation, short of screwing up a bunch of frames ?

Thanks

Reply to
JJ

Be very aware of details. After the strike is installed, the latch should be in the pocket with at least 1/16" free space to accommodate building movement from heat, cold, wet, dry, air pressure from elevator shafts. Use a strike with adjustable pocket for Murphy's Law. Install door closer, closer to the hinge side of door to be 'lighter' weight. Be sure to have both distinct 'swing' and 'latch' speeds. Typical electrical pulse time is about 7 seconds. This will certainly be a new industry for you. You will acquires knowledge of locksmithing, contract hardware, alarms and monitoring, electrical, building and electrical codes, basic electronics, access control programming, use Excel for building diagrams (high light cells then select borders - make your own tool bar for this), product pin outs, time charts ; and a truck load of tools.

Do not be intimidated. Anyone can learn this. I've been doing it for

30 years and still enjoy every aspect of it. There is so much interesting variety you will never be bored !

Take Care ! ! Have Fun ! !

GQC

JJ wrote:

Reply to
GQC

There are jigs for cutting in certain strikes on certain frames using a router. I use one on aluminium frames and doors.

On wood frames.... holesaw and chisle (by eye)

On metal frames... nibbler and a jigsaw (by eye)

Do you have any kind of carpentry and hardware experience? If not, you might want to hire someone and watch him do each kind of installation several times

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Hopefully you are mechanically inclined...

Access control isn't all strikes though... Maglocks and 'crash bars'...

It's funny; I'm in access control and branching into data/phone systems.

Reply to
Aegis