I'm mad, am I wrong?

Ok, several of you have responded to my posts and I want to thank you for your input and help. I really appreciate it!

A new development however has surfaced. Someone decided to go to a hotel type lock system (ie Tessa/Onity) and they decided to look to Kaba/Ilco. Don't get me wrong, the Kaba 710-11 Solitaire is a good lock, but in this particular situation I don't think it would be a good choice and very much overkill. The part of this that is making me mad, is when I was talking to the Property manager yesterday, I asked him what is going to happen when they lock dies and they don't have an override key. He told that this wouldn't be a problem, cause Kaba would train his tech's/engineers to be able to remove the lock from the outside of the door in order to gain entry. This really, doesn't make me have warm and fuzzy feelings. Isn't this the job of a locksmith? Why is Kaba now in the business of training building engineers in the practice of bypassing security devices.

The reason for all of this is the fact that they placed the key machine in the main shop area so that ANYONE could make duplicate keys, and someone made a copy of the GM. So now we have an instance where the engineers will be trained to bypass locks w/o damage except for the security seal on the inside of the outer body. Therefore, when one of the engineers leaves the job, will posess the knowledge to go back and committ harry karry. What a great plan!

So am I wrong in my view of this? Would love your thoughts.

Jack

Reply to
JACK

Kaba has thought outside the square and deserve credit for this.

There are two enemies of someone trying to bypass security devices. - time and noise.

I am only guessing but it may require a reasonably beefy De Walt drill, a drilling template and a few non-standard screwdrivers or wavey sockets to remove the lock (to undo fixing bolts from the rear end perhaps), plus some consumables to reinstate the lock. In such circumstances it does not matter that building engineering staff are taught how to remove a faulty lock. A lock of this nature would be far better than one with a bypass key. If the lock 'dies' coincidentally with a person in the room who cannot get the door open from the inside, it would be quite acceptable to expect to break the door to gain access.

If the locks are highly reliable and the batteries are on the outside or a means of powering the locks is available from the outside, it would be seldom indeed that a lock would need to be 'mechanically' bypassed. If one had to be bypassed due to electrical or mechanical failure a reputable manufacturer would probably want it returned for a post-mortem.

In such circumstances the cost savng by not providing, controlling and maintaining bypass cylinders and associated keys would easily cover the cost of an occasional forcible entry.

I have thought that payphones, parking meters, vending machines etc could be electrically locked, but with a mechanical bypass possible albeit one that is noisy, time consuming and requires a few special tools.

Reply to
peterwn