if a voulenteer worker entered your shop...

Say for example if someone (such as myself) already has a full time job but started studying locksmithing and got a PCDI correspondance degree ;) , walked into your shop and said "could i voulenteer several hours on Sundays to get some practical experience" what would your answers be? If you allowed this person to voulenteer hours on sundays what kind of work would you give them? Would it be anything important or just restocking supplies and sweeping up? Would you allow the person to go on calls like a psuedo-apprentice or some such? Thanks for any answers.

Reply to
ragtag99

Volunteer or no: Do I need someone, do they pass my interview as being someone who is worth training and trustworthy, and are they willing to start by doing the muckwork that I don't want to deal with -- which includes things like stocking and sweeping.

If not, the cost in time instructing them (and, initially, in double-checking their work) may be higher than their value to the business. Especially since the problem with volunteers is that they may vanish unexpectedly.

See above. If I don't need them on the call, they're just in the way. If I do need them, do they have or do I trust them to learn the skills I need... and if I teach, do I believe they'll stick around long enough for me to recover my investment of time in teaching them.

Frankly, I think I'd be more likely to take someone seriously if they applied for a real part-time job at a salary appropriate to that job.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Well, a couple things come to mind. In no particular order.

  • While I'm friendly with other tradesmen, I know that one day that fellow will be competition.
  • An apprentice represents the shop. I'd want someone who had my same conservative dress, and manners.
  • Lot of folks have a distorted view of what locksmithing is. Actually, it's quite different, in different parts of the country. Also, rural versus city are different.
  • I don't teach picking until I've known someone for two years.
  • I work out of the house, and I am closed Sundays except for emergency calls.

Of course, you're welcome to follow up with more questions.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

gotcha beat.. closed saturdays as well, and quit doing nights even couple years back-funny thing is my sleep AND income went UP cutting out nights --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Short answer: no.

Nothing personal.

This involves insurance, workman's comp, liability, etc. I wouldn't insure someone who didn't work for me (for pay) and I wouldn't use someone (on their own time) who wasn't fully insured (and bonded).

In addition, I would not stake my reputation on someone whom I don't know very well or very long.

On the other hand, I have been quite helpful to those wanting to get into the trade and are going to school, etc.

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

Valid points.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Since I am also for the most part,part-time,I would'nt be able to pay anybody enough for their time.Also, not a steady enough load yet.

If I did, however,I would probably start them out with stocking blanks and parts and keeping things somewhat cleaned up. I say somewhat because at times, I've got no room to talk.

If they took initiative on their own part to educate themselves while also performing the tasks I assign them,I might involve them on a project to a certain level.

As for taking them with me on a job,this would be only after I have decided that they do have enough potential and knowledge to be useful.

Recently, I did more or less contract a well-known person to make tags and do some stamping for a try-out set. He hade a little money-I got the set done faster. win-win.

Reply to
goma865

Frankly, that's how I started. I have been greatful for the chance. I had completed the FB course but knew I didn't know locksmithing. I was very honest and forward with the owner. I promised I'd spend my own time, I'd sweep floors - take out garbage, make coffee, run for lunches, etc for the chance to hang out and occasionally "Do the fun stuff". They kept me in the shop for a week and saw I'd come back every day. I'd do more than hang around picking my butt. I'd stock the key board. I knew how to run a key machine, so I'd help customer's duplicating keys. After a week and a half they could see I was serious and put me on payroll part time. They still kept me in the shop mostly, but soon, the owner let me ride shot-gun. With-in a month I was full time and going on simple calls near the shop. Other points made here are also valid. I stayed with him for two years, then became competition. He was mad/ disappointed at first but understood. He had required me to buy all my own tools, including a service vehicle, provide my own mobile phone, etc. It was natural for me to decide I could be doing the same thing for myself. It end happily for both of us though. We now have a good relationship - trade jobs when one of us is too busy. This week-end I'm answering his phones to cover his AAA contract and giving him a cance to take a vacation with his family. Even though we're competitors, I still feel a loyalty for the chance he gave me and would never think of being less than honset with him.

I don't know why he decided to let me work. I was a stranger to him. He took a chance on my being serious. And I DID give him two years of good honest work.

Reply to
keys4locks

after just two years, you still had a lot to learn.

serious ? did you tell him of your future plans ? if you would have he probably wouldn't have put the time into training you.

I am sure you did, but you also let him down..

Reply to
Key

Yeah, but the guy made an apprentice buy all his own tools, and then his own truck and cell phone. Sounds to me more of a let out rather than a let down.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Gotta agree to some degree. Loyalty is nice, but it's easier to obtain when someone has to make a large investment in order to go into competition with you. If you insist on his having his own equipment, you can't complain too much when he decides he wants to use it on his own time rather than yours.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

guess anything is possable. but even at that, he was probably planning on getting more than a couple of years return on his teaching efforts. we have always worked our help as sub-contract. they furnish everything and in turn are paid a percentage of the profit. they don't work, they don't get paid.

Reply to
Key

Granted, but the trick to getting that return largely lies in making the guy prefer to continue to work for you rather than for himself.

Downside of that is that they *are* their own business. If they start taking contracts from someone else, you really have no basis for complaint.

Having said that, there's a lot to be said for making that relationship explicit if that's what you have in mind. Keeps everyone's expectations clearer.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Key,

E-mail me if you would, I have a few questions for you.

Thanks

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

trying, having to guess at your email addy.

Reply to
Key