anyone know good brand of weather proof padlock

i have customer needing good weather proof padlock, for outdoor use on side of building. Is frustrated with cheapo ones rusting up all the time, I have showed him a federal 4 wheel combination lock, that comes with a plastic type cover all round, and has plastic on the shackle and body and even a flap underneath to hide the wheels. Problem is its going to be used by various tradespeople with the info of the code number. These padlock are not very self explanatory ,in that you have to depress the shacle after you have dialed up the right code to open it. In these water proof ones, the shackle is hard to depress to release, even when u know how to do it.

Anyone know of a quality weather proof padlock , that is very easy to use when someone tries to use it for the first time. E.g. a button or lever next to the wheels, anything but the safe dial type too i guess.

padlocks weather tough is the type i have and they didnt think was user friendly enough

Reply to
Chris

ehh.. why not a key lock? OR do you need to change the access combo now and then? Master makes a rekeyable type thats pretty well sealed.. ask for a key RETAINING.. they must lock it to take their key out..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I sell the Americal 3600 or 3700 padlock for about $20.00. It can be fitted for most keyways. I also have a special clyinder that can be re-pinned by the end user up to 12 times before it needs to be re-pinned.

Keys aren't bad either, $3.95 ea. The key that facilitates the change is $7.95. About $100.00 for the padlock, cylinder and a couple keys. I also replace the cylinder retaining screw with a stainless steel one as it is the only part that is not corrosion proof.

Bob

Reply to
Bob B.

No , sorry, they have asked specificly for a combination padlock, so that when they need tradesmen etc to access this door to turn off gas or water etc, they want them to be able to dial up the code after telling it to them over the phone. they dont want the hassle anymore of hiding keys under bins,meeting people, driving home to meet them etc. It is an apartment complex, and they have had a combination lock but it just rusted up straight away.

Reply to
Chris

AFAIK, there is NO weatherproof combo lock. as far as I have seen in the literature..or even water resistant.. the best would be a master 175, BUT, it would need 're oiling' monthly or better, depending on the weather.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

then they must learn how to opperate for a combination padlock. as hard as it may seem to the :-)

Reply to
Key

sounds like they are not the type to maintain their pad-lock. they must live and learn.....

Reply to
Key

OK here is a solution for you. Use a solid brass keyed padlock like an Almont. This can be keyed up to match your customers house key and have a separate key for the tradesman that you keep in a Supra key locker bolted to the door.

I know lot's of locksmiths tend to shy away from Almont's but they have features I really like they are cheap, they are made in the USA, and you can replace shackles and they have solid brass bodies.

For your application they also have the feature of being key retaining. If the key in the lockbox is retained with a chain, and the padlock is retained with a chain, then the tradesman cant walk off with the key and is likely to not forget to lock up after he is done.

The Supra boxes do real well in the weather and you can get them in either the dial combo style or the push button style.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

good suggestion Roger..

Reply to
Key

very good idea ,

i will put this to them , and let them know that locksmiths all around the world have been thinking about what to do for them.

Thank you.

Chris , Brisbane

Reply to
Chris

Almont padlocks are not available with hardened shackles, so they rust quickly, THAT's why so many hate them - not the wire rekeying method.

For Schlage style keyways, the Abus 83/45-300 has a brass body & stainless hardened shackle, but the Master 6621 Pro-Series all-weather padlock is more durable for exterior use.

KeyMart prices them at $ 12.95 each keyed alike:

David

Reply to
BogusID

David,

Where pray tell do you get your information?

First off you can get either brass shackles for maximum corrosion protection or hardened steel shackles that are plated for corrosion protection. While the steel will rust in real harsh environments like on board ship with direct contact with salt water spray, the plating is sufficient for ordinary outdoor use.

The biggest problem with Almont's padlocks is the fact that people get in a hurry and make an OOPS that leads to frustration and a pile of parts on the bench.

Once you realize what is going on with them and have the right tools they really are your friend.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Hello Roger,

I'd be very interested in part numbers for hardened steel or brass shackles with the Almont brand, since I only find the zinced shackle. I'm Ok with the wire retainer clip, and i don't dislike the design, but have had several encounters with rusty shackles.

In some cases (like electrical enclosures) they might stay locked for a year or more; and if rusty and not easily opened, they simply get cut.

After a few of these, the client wanted something that "looks better", and the Pro-Series plastic shell and hardened shackle was an easy sell.

Thanks, David

Reply to
BogusID

The steel shackle is hardened. The catalog discribes the corosion protection applied as zinc over copper. Just because it is not chrome plated does not mean that the corosion protection of the plating is poor.

I am bot sure about the part number for the brass shackle but it says it is available on F/O. Ask your distributor.

A dab of grease will work wonders here.

Nothing wrong with the Master Pro-Series.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I just went to the instakey website from post #7 on this thread, clicked the "Re-Key Demonstration Video" link on the bottom of the page and low and behold, i didnt get a demo, i got a spyware installed. I dont know if the site was compromised or that it was their intent to find out who was looking at their page, but i recommend not hitting the link. It installs a program called PSGaurd (PS...something, i just exited the program without reading the title) that acts like a spyware removal program. Unless this was somehow already placed on my computer and activated when you click on a link to AVI's... but i doubt it. Did anyone else have a similar problem?

Reply to
ragtag99

I just went there and downloaded the demo. It was a .avi file, ran fine. I have all the McAfee virus, spy-ware stoppers. Didn't show any problem with the file. I'll let InstaKey know.

Bob

Reply to
Bob B.