Ilco Blanks and Prime Line Mortice Cylinders?

I noticed that Ilco blanks are cheaper than the Jet blanks I use. The name is well known but are the blanks any good? I would think so but blanks can cause a lot of trouble if they arn't consistant.

What about those Prime Line mortice cylinders? They look like they may be like Vista Wall pot metal. Anybody use them? Should I stick with American or switch?

Thanks again, trying to save a buck.

Glen

Reply to
Glen Cooper

I use. The name

so but blanks can

have used Ilco for 23+ years. probably ran accross 10 bad banks....

like they may be

stick with American

don't use Prime Line mortice cylinders. if your discription is correct ? would look at another brand thats solid brass and charge accordingly.

g'day

Reply to
"Key

I've never had a problem with Ilco blanks. Come to think of it, except for one problem I had with Taylor blanks years ago, I've never had a problem with any name brand blank. I had lots of problems with cheap blanks from China (ok, so I was trying to save a few bucks) that didn't seem to be much more substantial than solder.

Skip

Reply to
No one

blanks I use. The name

so but blanks can

like they may be

stick with American

of it, except

never had a problem

cheap blanks from

didn't seem to be

you never got a miss-milled blank ?

Reply to
"Key

I got a few 'blank' blanks... they got the outline.... and nothing else...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Same category as the occasional non-threaded bolt... stuff slips thru the manufacturing line. A good supplier ought to be willing to replace those, but it probably isn't worth the cost/effort to complain.

(But you never know. Last time I complained about a $5 product being somewhat crunched in the retail pipeline, the manufacturer sent me about $20 worth of coupons.)

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

many years back, didnt know for CERTAIN what key blanks I needed, so bought a LOT of 10's and 20's of different things... Seems Ilco had a problem with the plating, 1 layer will come off... they offered to replace them, but, hey, the TROUBLE of packing and shipping is more problem than knocking off 1 layer of plating. I STILL got some of thos blanks left, too

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Just with Taylor blanks.

Reply to
Skip

thats what I meant by "miss-milled".

Reply to
"Key

I've had trouble with Ilco brand M-4 for Master padlocks. This was back in about 1985, they looked good, but wouldn't go into the keyhole.

Another time, another shop I worked at had some RU-2 (yes, that's not a commonly used blank) that were milled wrong, they rode a bit high in the keyway, or a bit low.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

Those blank blanks are great. I have a CG-4 blank blank from Chicago. I took my lettter set and stamped in my name and phone #, on the odd chance that I lost my keys and someone was kind enough to get them back to me.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

I'd hesitate to stamp name and home phone associated with the keys, since that's enough that someone might be able to derive address and return those keys in a way you wouldn't want them returning. Arranging to have them returned to a friend would provide a level of cut-out to give you some protection against that. The key tags many stores now use as their discount cards provide a similar cut-ount, if you mostly trust the store's staff.

Outside of that, I love the idea of using a "key" as a keychain-carried ID... or business card?

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

You raised a very valid point. Which is why I put my PO Box on my other keytag.

I heard from someone awhile back with a fleet of cars, he was going to put the license plate numbers on the tags, so that if someone found the keys they could call the PD and have them run the plate, nad get the keys back. I suggested much the same as you did, that it would be easy enough for a finder to look for the car with that tag, and then get in and drive it off.

Thank you for the very good reminder.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

Just a point to consider, the law provides that any keys that have an address on them with the phrase:

"Drop in any mail box, return postage guaranteed"

will be sent through the mail without the requirement for pre paid postage. I think Lucky Line sells tags with this endorsement.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Ilco products including blanks are good quality.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Easier than that. In almost every state DMV records are still semi-public. Yes you need a reason to access them but you can pick your reason from about 20.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere