Is it true that in Cairns Locksmiths fly to remote places to do work

Too much information, .........YUCK !

Yeah, I went to East Sydney Tech College (in Darlinghurst), what a depressing joint. Use to be a prison, our lecture room looked over the gallows. That was 33 years ago, and I was doing Vet Science + meat inspection degree as a side. Funny what you end up as when the years tick by.

Reply to
Steve Paris

gee.

My college was like going to Top Gun. The tradesmen who went b4 me called it top lock.

Sydney tech Ultimo was great, very friendly teachers, and great facility and wealth of experienced people there. We will always remember how well treated we were, and the welcome the Sydney teachers gave us. We even travelled one weekend to a teachers house for a bbq and drink session, which was very nice of him. Melbourne was in a newly built place - architect designed type thing, locksmith section had its own area separate to other parts of the college. had to walk through security door to hall way where they could view you, and then decide whether to let you in furhter or not. Teachers again were excellent , and the facilitys were brand new , and first class etc too. We didnt really appreciate it at the time though, as we were so young, and on apprenticeship wages, with no overtime, and having to pay to live in short term accomodation and fend for ourselves. Looking back we were very lucky, getting to see both colleges. They have the college in Brisbane now, so no more free air fares to interstate colleges. and although i havent seen it, i hear its shit compared to what we had.

We did 2 lots of 7 weeks staying in sydney, and two lots of four weeks staying in melbourne.

Reply to
Chris

Yeah, were pretty luck here, with all the government free trade training in outstanding Technical colleges, and government assisted apprenticeship schemes. Heck, the government now give the new apprentice about $1000 to go buy himself basic tools to start with. You'd think that the USA would have a similar government assisted training program for trades. Over there they seem to have an apprenticeship system that has no direct 'off site' training facility whatsoever. If you want to learn more than your boss wants to teach you, then you either have to PAY big $$$$ to go to a privately run institute, or learn off scrounging info off the internet or other guys that are 'in the know'. "Correct me if I'm wrong USA guys. :-) Cheers.

Reply to
Steve Paris

You are correct that in the US there is very little support for trade schools, while there is pretty good support for stereotypical didactic college programs.

It's not that there's none -- just not much.

'They' probably want hs grads who want to learn a trade to join the military, put in a hitch and go to the trade from there/ after that.

Reply to
Mike Easter

Ahh, that makes sence Mike. You can get trade qualified for lots of variouse trades in the armed services here too. Pitty though that you need to risk your life to get your trade ticket ! Cheers.

Reply to
Steve Paris

don't see many gator's round here, they're all up north in steve " watch me rev this little bugger up" irwin country...

Reply to
steve

Reply to
steve

Reply to
steve

I'm in the US. Don't know of any government paid training. Except possibly for military vetrans.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

sorry, I replied to the wrong Steve. Steve P. has a gator farm across from him.

Reply to
Key