Making Slim Jims

Greetings.

There are a couple dollar stores here in the Phoenix metropolitan area that sell "slim jims" for, well, a dollar. They have several different cuts and such, which attempts to give them more flexibility, however i have learned that it is best if i just make them near single-use tools, and bend cut and distort them to work for that one open. I just buy several of them at a time.

As a lot of people are mentioning, these tend to work on older cars only.

.times enemy

PS, Bob, i usually remove signatures from my replies, but i liked that you had both a link to what is presumably your church, and scripture reference.

Bob DeWeese, CML wrote:

Reply to
times enemy

Greetings.

The first place that i thought of, when i read your question about factory book manuals having diagrams is Chilton. [

] Your local library may have the chilton books. A photographic memory would be useful here.

Second, if you are in the junkyards anyway, you may as well take a peak and a couple pix of various vehicle doors while you are there. To keep on the up-and-up, clear it with the yard manager first.

Third, automotive engineering firms sometimes get CAD files for complete vehicles.

Et cetera.

.times enemy

Genecks wrote:

Reply to
times enemy

Shiva,

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob B.

Roger,

Thanks for the input. It makes a lot of sense, especially about the guys why did their own shop not needing/wanting supervision.

Bob

Reply to
Bob B.

Greets.

Yes, they are cheap. I have another one that used to belong to a local fire department, but they got it stuck in a Buick. Locksmith came out, and liberated it, and the fire department said i could keep it. It was practically new.

.times enemy

'Key wrote:

Reply to
times enemy

Yes, they are cheap. I have another one that used to belong to a local fire department, but they got it stuck in a Buick. Locksmith came out, and liberated it, and the fire department said i could keep it. It was practically new.

.times enemy ===================

got a similar story. I was called out by a customer that had locked their keys in their car. they firest called the police department (back when the police opend cars around here) the police had gotten their slim-jim caught in the door. they had asked her to call them back when the locksmith got their slim-jim out the door and they would come and get it. when she told me that, I opend a different door and then open the door in qusetion from the inside. their slim-jim was sticking out the latch about two inches. I just cut it off and handed her two seperate peices. she was tickled and said she will be happy to call them to come and get it :-)

g'day

Reply to
Key

Well they at least know keys. :)

One would assume they can operate a key machine (duplicator) and a code machine. One would also assume that they understand the "discretion" that goes along with the business.

Would you be supplying the equipment? That could get very expensive considering what is involved in doing cars today. But if money to invest in equipment isn't an issue for you, I'd say go for it!

NO! Not unless I was hiring him as a manager. People who have owned a business usually like to do things their way. I may consider a former business owner as a sub-contractor, (but I would be interested in knowing the reason that they no longer own their business).

One other thing to think about... They started a business once. What's to prevent them from starting one again (after they get to know all of your customers)?

If I had employees (don't have any - don't want any) I'd insist that they sign a non-compete contract before they ever got the job.

Yep!

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Bob,

Thanks for your input. You have re-enforced much of what I was considering. I too would prefer to be a one man operation, but I work for a security company and do not have the option of turning work away. There is too much for one person so I have to have help. The drag is that I end up doing mostly administrative while my employee gets to have all the fun.

Since I lost my man to a factory job a few weeks ago, I've loved being on the road. Paperwork is piling up, but who cares as long as parts get ordered and jobs get billed. Books and files as tight as a frogs but don't make me a dime. It's installation of equipment that generates revenue.

Anyway, Thanks again. I've always respected your input into the newsgroup and what you have done for the industry.

Bob Butler. Replacd "stopspam" with "722" for return email address.

Reply to
Bob B.