help for an amateur

My name is Ray, I own a Hardware store in fort Vermilion Alberta, I took a correspondence course on locksmithing about 20 years ago and do rekeying for my customer and occasionally picking open for lost keys etc,.

I have lost my training books and I now have a local customer who wants to master key about 30 houses , I have pins but have forgotten the principal of setting up a master system.

Would someone help me with a basic explanation or give me some education, I would be happy to compensate someone for a bit of help.

Thanks

Ray Toews

Reply to
Ray Toews

The basic concept is to design a system where the cuts of the tenant key are different than the master. By using "master pins" you can create two different depths that work in a particular pin stack.

30 units really isn't all that big a master key system. Not that dificult, if the locks are all the same brand. If it's a locking system I'm familiar with, I'd be happy to cut you some keys. Not sure about how to ship to Canada, or handle the money end of things.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

visit you local locksmith and have them run up a system for you.

Reply to
Key

No offence Ray, BUT, your the reason why licensing of the trade of locksmithing should be brought in, as much as I despise the very thought of it. Your stealing the work off professional tradesmen, not to mention doing a half assed job and compromising the customers security because of your lack of proper training. Do the right thing and pass the M.K. job on to your local 'professional' Locksmith. No flame intended, cheers. :-)

Reply to
Steve Paris

Local professional locksmith? Fort Vermilion is a small town a long way from a large city.

However, there /is/ a certified locksmith notsofar in High Level, AB and he even has a website^1. Maybe we'll get back on the topic of locksmithing by private airplane. ;-)

^1

Mike Easter

A little more about Fort Vermilion

"Fort Vermilion is a Hamlet located approximately 78 km southeast of High Level. It is the oldest settlement in Alberta and was established in 1788 as a post for the North West Company located on the banks of the Mighty Peace River. Today Fort Vermilion serves an urban and rural population of about 2500 and has a population of 871. (661 km northwest of Edmonton, Alberta.)"

Reply to
Mike Easter