Need help opening old Mosler Cannonball safe.

I'm not sure of the exact model but I do know that it looks EXACTLY like this one:

It was shut up some time ago by my elderly father and the combo has been forgotten. I do know that it has two locks one dial operated and the other a time lock and that the time lock was never used so that one is unlocked. It's only the dial operated lock that is locked. Any help would be appreciated. I had a local locksmith look at it and he said he could do it on the phone but when he saw it he said he didn't have enough info on it and changed his mind. There are papers in it we need.

Reply to
rolandawatts

find someone near you, its not fun to drill

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Don't need to, not if it's like he says it is.

Reply to
Steve

Where are you?

Or go to:

and post a picture and your location.

Reply to
Steve

So what does that mean? It doesn't need to be drilled or don't need to try sava thing or what?

Reply to
rolandawatts

I guess I can try that but I am in west virginia in a pretty rural area so there aren't a lot of locksmiths around here.

Reply to
rolandawatts

IF its locked SHUT, you probably need to drill it, you need experienced help.

and you can find a local (hopefully) safe person to discuss this with if its locked OPEN, AND the door IS open, then you need the combo set, the lock cleaned and lubed, plus a lot of other mechanism outside the combo lock checked/cleand/ and/or lubed as well

you do NOT want a lock out on this.

IF you want the time lock gone thru, that a whole nuther scenario.. I know a time lock place in Kansas, they clean etc as needed.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

SAVTA shows 12 there in your state.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me
20:48:49 -0700, you wrote:

It means that this particular safe was designed with the time lock as the main locking mechanism. The other lock is there to prevent casual entry when the premises where the safe is are occupied. With the timelock in use it's a formidable safe. Without it it isn't all that secure. It can be opened without drilling, much, if any, damage or even any special skill beyond a little knowledge and the ability to use very basic hand tools properly. Ideally once you get it open if you want to make it as secure as it use to be you should consider getting a professional to replace the timelock mechanism with a modern safe lock, if you don't want the timer function.

I probably told you enough here to open it if you are mechanically inclined enough to do it in the first place so I'm going to shut up now.

PS If you do get it open DO NOT ever for any reason simply remove the time lock and close the safe or you will really be locked out. Remove the main locking bolt (the one controlled by the time lock) too, or do what I said and have it EXPERTLY converted to work with a modern lock if the time lock is no good or you don't want the time lock function. Collector value would be highest if you leave the time lock in it.

OK now I'll shut up.

Reply to
Steve

Ok......At first I thought you were dicking me around but after spending about an hour playing with the dial and realizing no way was I going to ever figure out the combo. Then finally figuring out how the dial unscrews and another hour or so looking, thinking and messing with the rest of the door I finally got it. That little clip thing was really pissing me off until I figured out what it was and where it was. Don't worry I won't post any more details. I can see why you wouldn't want to just hand this to some idiot. It's pretty cool how it works but I don't think I'm going to be putting anything valuable in here without using the other lock. Thanks.

Reply to
rolandawatts