Ebay engine

Gents, did anyone else see this crossley an dynamo on ebay it was'nt very well listed.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih 0&item 0028378911&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

It's very unusual as it has a mechanical lubricator instead of drip feed oilers i wonder if this was a factory mod for a generator to run unattended for long periods of time? what's the panels thoughts?
Regards Gary.
Nope, I didn't see that one. "open crankED engine" got past my filter! What do you reckon, a 1060?
I agree that the oil delivery system is very unusual, I've not seen another like it on a Crossley. I wonder what became of the switchboard?
Anyway, is the new owner one of us?
--

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Something not right about that engine, a P1065 should be larger than that? or is it the flywheels that are too small? Not a Crossley expert but I seem to remember that they had particularly heavy flywheels.
Also noticed that the high bidder (feedback 0 points) has been on ebay since May 2004 and apparently has managed to avoid winning a bid in all that time....
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk
Interesting, allmost looks identical to a petter calibrator, is it possible that it is a retro-fit.
Rgds bob
A Very interesting engine indeed.
I would say it is lost in time as to whether it was a factory added, or a good idea on behalf of the original owner . It cannot be said really for sure as in the Petter 'Salesman catalouge' pg 149 , it states regarding the calibrator that ' Enquiries are invited from manufacturer's of steam , gas & oil engines etc..; Our technical dept. will be glad to advise with reference the adoption of the calibrator for any class on machine .
So its anyones guess !
Regards, John D Dublin-Ireland
Prepair Ltd wrote:

I think I was on ebay from feb 2001, and didn't take part in a transaction until oct-2005
I only registered (in 2001) so I could search complete auction for research.
AFAIK I'm not suspicious!
BugBear

Probably not, but I take the view that anyone who hasn't 'apparently' done any trading on ebay but suddenly pops up with a 1250.00 purchase like this one is fair game for 'suspicious activity' labelling.
It may be unfair, I had no feedback at one time, but being cautious about trading on ebay and taking suitably large doses of salt with some descriptions means that most of the time we have no problems.
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:14:14 +0100, Prepair Ltd

There are all sorts of possibilities, ranging from the 'suspicious' through the innocent genuine bid to the possibility that the bidder knows the vendor and the engine, & genuinely wanted to buy at that sort of price, but the owner wanted to see what it would fetch.
I try not to worry too much about such things, & just *try* never to bid more than something is worth to me.
Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service
Flywheels look OK to me. Like other engine manufacturers Crossleys provided both relatively light flywheels on standard industrial engines and heavyweight versions for engines built and sold as generator engines.
The lightweight wheels, Calibrater, and "hopper" mod on this example strongly suggest that the genset is a bitsa and not the original use of the engine.
I've never seen an oil collector device like that on the camshaft before.
Engine serial # 94063 dates to about 1926 - my #94728 is April 1927.
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:47:55 +0100, Prepair Ltd

John Ambler Sussex, UK Return E-mails to snipped-for-privacy@skiprat.net http://www.skiprat.net
gary millward wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih 0&item 0028378911&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Not quite as it left the factory....... First of all it has had a twin feed Calibrater lubricator grafted onto it, but it appears that only one feed is being used, to the big end.

drip feeds are still in place. Seems a bit of a waste of one half of a Calibrater. The 'hopper' began life as one of those old fashioned iron saucepans, and I would imagine that it would boil like fury once the load on the dynamo was wound up. Also, not that I've seen many, Mr Crossley seemed to favour GEC dynamos, I've not seen an original set with a BTH. I wonder if it really was a factory produced set or if it has been made up from the parts of the moment at some stage in its life, ISTR you could get heavier flywheels on these engines specifically for use on dynamos, which again leads me to believe that it may well be a 'made up' set, though none the less interesting for that.
Regards
Philip T-E

Years ago I toyed with the idea of adding a 'stew pot' hopper to my Petter M (4hp 'New Model') as an apple top head seemed hard to come by. The usual lack of round tuits intervened though - probably for the best.
--

Nick H

I ask from ignorance - is the term "calibrator" one used generically as in "to hoover" , or was there a company called Calibrator that supplied oiling systems?
Regards,
Kim Siddorn

oiling
The Calibrator was Petter's 'own brand' mechanical lubricator.
--

Nick H

Sorry, should that be Calibrater? (Conscious of the number of Petter experts looking over my shoulder!)
--

Nick H

replying to Rob, Liam wrote:

TURNER MANUFACTURING Co. Wifruna Works Lever Street WOLVERHAMPTON ENGLAND". Has a 1/8" screw hole at each corner.If anyone can use it let me know. Hi Rob, 15vyears late, but do you still have this plate in your possession? I would like to see an image, and possibly even purchase it from you. Kind regards, Liam